Batman's Cowl/Headpiece in Burton Films

Started by batman89, Fri, 21 Aug 2009, 04:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's something I really want to talk that's bothered me for years, despite how cool both films are. Keaton cannot turn his head, it's ridiculous, and not very Batmanesque. I mean Batman was trained as a ninja, it is probably natural for someone like Batman to keep his head on a swivel, ever alert to any danger. But this is not the case for Keaton's Batman, it's quite amusing if you look at the scenes in Batman (1989) where there should be head movement, but his whole body has to move (I'm thinking about the cathedral scene). I read an article here where I believe Keaton is quoted as saying it feels like his head is in a vise.

So, what's your opinion with regards to this issue. I know I'll be posting much more here.
No rest, not for the wicked...nor those who dare deal with them.

Realistically, Batman would have a cowl that he could move his head in, but Keaton made the limitations of the suit work to his advantage and as such made his performance that much cooler. In the cathedral scene that you mentioned, when he hears Joker's voice and does the full body turn, to me it's like he's ready to face his enemy head on. Kilmer and Clooney on the other hand always seemed to be struggling against the suit.  That my two cents anyway.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I agree, Keaton worked with the suit and it looked like he knew what he was doing. He wanted to be more intimidating and scary more than anything, and he pulled that off well. Im sure if the keaton movies continued further along, each movie would have developed better neck movement, at least from what would have been keatons suggestions. Kilmer was new coming in and so was clooney, and they fudged it up. Keaton was the first major Big screen batman, so in 89 He really devoted himself with developing movement in the suit because of all the pressure. By the time returns came around he knew what he was doing, it only would have evolved from there imo.

Quote from: gordonblu on Fri, 21 Aug  2009, 05:33
Realistically, Batman would have a cowl that he could move his head in, but Keaton made the limitations of the suit work to his advantage and as such made his performance that much cooler. In the cathedral scene that you mentioned, when he hears Joker's voice and does the full body turn, to me it's like he's ready to face his enemy head on. Kilmer and Clooney on the other hand always seemed to be struggling against the suit.  That my two cents anyway.
Very well said. I've said it before somewhere, but the limitation just made Keaton that much more animalistic.

I have a cowl that was made for Batman 89 and I can tell you that the foam latex is actually quite soft and supple, supporting quite a range of movement. The cowl itself is not the problem.

The cowl was joined to the torso and cape, which severely limits the neck movement and means that the whole body has to turn to a degree. The other reason Keaton had to move in the way he did was that the sides of the cowl where the face opening is have a habit of popping out if making too many extreme head movements. Keaton makes mention of this in an interview.

Personally I love how Keaton was able to use it to enhance the character for the most part. There is something very chilling about his stillness and the swift, sudden and calculated movements. That's far more Batman to me.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Also there is the esthetic element to consider.

The suit inherently isn't practical but the look is what is important and what Burton was going for.

Quote from: ral on Fri, 21 Aug  2009, 12:21

The suit inherently isn't practical but the look is what is important and what Burton was going for.
Exactly. There is no way in hell a sane person would throw on a Burton bat suit and go fight the worst scum imaginable on the street. But that doesn't matter one inch. They look splendid, and I can accept the fantasy of it.

Well agreed on all points offered, in fact from an article I heard here, Keaton could not hear out of the headpiece, but it was for better because it immersed him more into role.  And despite how limited movement was he made movement extremely fluid with what he was given. In the given action scenes you really would not have thought that head movement was impossible because the whole movement is so fluid even though we know the cowl is bolted to his chest.

And yes it does give a more dominating movement, and Burton was going for the look, which worked, and thanks to camera angles, once again, you really can't tell that neck movement is that hindered. There are a few more articles on this site that mention the costume so I'm going look into those further. But I just want everyone to think about or look at the scene when Batman first opens the small entrance to the cathedral, in those brief seconds we all get to see the most neck movement possible by the Keaton Batman.
No rest, not for the wicked...nor those who dare deal with them.

Quote from: ral on Fri, 21 Aug  2009, 12:21

Right on. Most things we see in (action/comic book) movies could never happen anyway, so one can accept an impractical Batsuit that is simply made to look good. Fighting in this suit is no more fantasy than most of the stuff seen in action/adventure movies anyway.

Great topic!

I got a taste of this problem at San Diego Comic Con recently. I didn't practice enough with the suit on to make the right movements and thus, I ended up with quite a few pics taken with my right or left side of my cowl, buckling out, sometimes to the extent where you can see my ear! lol.

I have to practice my movements much more because like PJ mentioned, once the cowl gets locked onto your cape and cowl, it dramatically decreases neck movement. If I can manage to keep my neck still and concentrate on torso movements, I would have a ton of great pics to show.  :P

The cowl being about a inch and a half bigger than my head, doesn't help much either. :P

Hopefully, i'll get it right by the time the Halloween festivities get here.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."