Johnny Depp or Alec Baldwin as Batman in Burton's films?

Started by Bat-Wing, Sun, 9 Aug 2009, 02:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I am one of the few fans who loves both the Burton films and the Nolan films. I have more of an appreciation for the Burton films since they were the Batman movies of my youth and really cemented my love of comics and The Batman.

And Michael Keaton has always been and will always be one of my favorite actors. It's a damn shame he doesn't get the credit and respect he deserves these days.

I love him as Bruce Wayne/The Batman, but I've long thought about how some of Burton's other actors would have worked.

Burton knew Baldwin from Beetlejuice, and he certainly had the young and dashing aspects down (see The Shadow). He also has a naturally deep and husky voice.

Depp would've brought some serious intensity and energy to the role, and again, he was younger and had the "Hollywood" good looks.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you on Baldwin but I think Depp is too delicate looking for Batman

Out of those two i'd go with Bladwin, Depp just seems he would make a better villian then Batman like The Joker/Riddler/Scarecrow...But If i had to choose someone myself i'd still go with Michael Biehn ;D.

Not that anyone could replace Michael Keaton.

Both would work. Johnny Depp as Dick Grayson/ Robin and Alec Baldwin as a Mob Boss or even as Clayface.

I always thought that Baldwin would have made a great Batman, however, I read that he had been quite difficult on the Beetlejuice set and that Burton had no intention of working with him again when it came round to making Batman.

As for Depp, I agree with batass - he does seem a little too delicate for the role of Batman.  Depp would make a better Joker or Riddler.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm a huge defender of Baldwin's "Shadow" film. And of course the character is somewhat similar to Batman. But I'd have a hard time seeing him as Batman.

Depp, on the other hand, is a very versatile actor who is capable of disappearing into any role he plays. I think he would've been able to surprise a lot of people if he was Batman.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Mon, 10 Aug  2009, 00:10
I'm a huge defender of Baldwin's "Shadow" film. And of course the character is somewhat similar to Batman. But I'd have a hard time seeing him as Batman.

Depp, on the other hand, is a very versatile actor who is capable of disappearing into any role he plays. I think he would've been able to surprise a lot of people if he was Batman.

As far as I'm concerned Baldwin looks more like the Batman/Bruce Wayne of the comic-books than almost any other mainstream actor I can think of.  He can do the suave, rich playboy persona, and he's got the gravelly intimidating voice, and physical bulk to make a convincingly threatening Batman.

Disregarding Michael Keaton for a moment, I think Baldwin was the best alternative candidate for Batman amongst any of the other actors who were ever mooted for the role.  Daniel Day Lewis was too fey, Bill Murray far too associated with comedy (even more so than Keaton was), Mel Gibson not versatile enough an actor, Pierce Brosnan too arch and lightweight, and Charlie Sheen was too boyish and would have made a better pick for Robin.  To me the role of Batman ideally requires soeone who is not quite a character actor (ala Johnny Depp), but also not quite a star (like Mel Gibson or Pierce Brosnan who play variations on the same character).  Baldwin circa 1989 would have best bridged that gap.  However, in retrospect I can't imagine a better Batman than Michael Keaton or Christian Bale.

i like johnny depp but come on - he does his keith richards routine in a kiddie pirate movie that makes a jillion dollars and all of a sudden he's some genius acting talent?

who else was actually up for batman though? - i actually heard roddy piper auditioned - and thank you though tim burton for not having a wayans brother play robin - glad that fell through

maybe put a non wayans brother robin in the next film and have him killed off - good way to add weight to the next one - always loved the death in the family image from the comics

I don't think the audience would be able to put the necessary emotional investment into a Robin who is killed off after one film.  Besides, I'd prefer Nolan to introduce Batgirl into the series as opposed to Robin, though bearing in mind that Barbara Gordon was a newly born baby in Batman Begins I don't suspect there's much chance of that.