The Batman Anthology on Bluray: 720p or 1080p?

Started by Joker89, Sat, 1 Aug 2009, 04:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, Beside the obvious fact that 1080p is higher in resolution than 720p, which resolution would you prefer to watch the Batman Anthology on Bluray with?

The reason why I'm asking is because my first LCD TV I Purchased was the Samsung LN32A330 (720p) TV. Now, the picture on this thing was fantastic considering it was a 720p with only 8,000 Dynamic Contrast. I played the standard definition Batman Anthology set on DVD, on this TV with an upconverting player and it looked pretty damn clear, exactly what the Screencaps on Bluray looked like.

But when I heard they were re-releasing the Anthology set onto Bluray Format,  I thought, "Hey, it's time for me to get a 1080p Samsung to see Batman in FULL HD". So I did, I spent much more money for a Samsung LN32B550, only to play the standard Anthology set on DVD, on the new TV, and the picture quality was almost if not the same!! except not as sharp!!! not to mention this is with a 70,000 dynamic contrast!

So even though I haven't purchased a Bluray player yet to see what it may look like on the 1080p TV, it's quite clear that perhaps this whole 1080p diversion is not what it seems. 1080p probably looks no different than the 720p as far as the quality for the Batman Anthology goes.

Opinions Anyone?

"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Once you watch something on a 1080p screen that's 1080p in resolution you'll notice the difference. I certainly do. I have a Samsung blu-ray player and a samsung 1080p TV and the quality is absolutely superb.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Quote from: PJ on Sat,  1 Aug  2009, 09:06
Once you watch something on a 1080p screen that's 1080p in resolution you'll notice the difference. I certainly do. I have a Samsung blu-ray player and a samsung 1080p TV and the quality is absolutely superb.
Yep. Once you watch Blu-ray, you won't ever want to watch any other format again.

Quote from: Joker89 on Sat,  1 Aug  2009, 04:38
So even though I haven't purchased a Bluray player yet to see what it may look like on the 1080p TV, it's quite clear that perhaps this whole 1080p diversion is not what it seems. 1080p probably looks no different than the 720p as far as the quality for the Batman Anthology goes.

Opinions Anyone?

Not really an opinion, but:

Wrong.
There is quite a difference in sharpness and color range.
Not to mention, TrueHD audio increases the clarity of sound.

It should rather the question if 720p is good enough for you or not. The size of your TV also is a determining factor.

on a certain size tv and viewing distance - 720p will be fine - but on a bigger set you will see the difference.

Yeah, that's the thing I'm happy with 32". Does it really make a difference then?
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Probably not. 720p should be fine on a 32" screen.

first time I watched batman returns on blu ray my jaw dropped in the amazing quality, probably the best blu ray I have.

Quote from: Redskull on Fri,  7 Aug  2009, 05:54
first time I watched batman returns on blu ray my jaw dropped in the amazing quality, probably the best blu ray I have.
Well, I recommend you buy TDK Blu-ray. While the Returns transfer is good, TDK transfer is reference quality. It doesn't get any better than that. It really does showcase the amazing clarity of Blu-ray.

The IMAX shot scenes are fantastic quality - i found the rest to be a little grainy.