The Batman Anthology on Bluray: 720p or 1080p?

Started by Joker89, Sat, 1 Aug 2009, 04:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ral on Fri,  7 Aug  2009, 09:34
The IMAX shot scenes are fantastic quality - i found the rest to be a little grainy.
What do you expect? IMAX is a super high quality format, it makes anything else look grainy - even standard Blu-ray. While you can tell the difference between the scenes shot in IMAX and standard camera, the detail remains nearly consistent in both aspect ratios.  And obviously making it better than the image quality of the Burton films.

i would expect that 20 years of advancement would produce a better film stock

Well, you can go back to VHS and DVD if you wish. Me? I'll have Blu-ray.

Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 12:15 #14 Last Edit: Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 12:19 by The Dark Knight
Just saying if you find TDK Blu-ray far too grainy with sand flying off the screen, you can watch it on the inferior format of DVD. Personal video has advanced in the space of 20 years, and Blu-ray has not been around for that length. It's relatively new and still developing. But I like what I see.

i said a little grainy.  it's probably highlighed more since it is side by side with the imax stuff.

i have also wondered, do they sometimes add artifical grain to movies?

Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 14:30 #16 Last Edit: Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 14:34 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: ral on Fri,  7 Aug  2009, 12:56
it's probably highlighed more since it is side by side with the imax stuff.
Of course. I refer you to my previous post where I said that very thing:

QuoteIMAX is a super high quality format, it makes anything else look grainy - even standard Blu-ray. While you can tell the difference between the scenes shot in IMAX and standard camera, the detail remains nearly consistent in both aspect ratios.

So should I stick with my 32" 720p Samsung, or buy the 32" 640 Best Buy Exclusive with 120hz Auto Motion?

If you cant tell the difference on a 32" PLEASE TELL ME NOW, I'd rather save up for a 46" LED in the next couple of years if there is infact no major difference on the 32" screens.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 20:14 #18 Last Edit: Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 20:16 by Batman
Don't waist money on anything below 40" now. Your 32" 720p will do fine for the time being.

You should rather save up for a large screen. By the time you have saved up enough for a 46" you can probably get a bigger screen of the same quality. HD screens will increase in general picture quality further and further every year with the cost/ quality ratio changing more and more in favor of the customers.

2010's World Soccer/ Football Cup will bring another big push in HD channels and TV being sold again allowing retailers to lower their prices due to higher demand.

Quote from: ral on Fri,  7 Aug  2009, 09:34
The IMAX shot scenes are fantastic quality - i found the rest to be a little grainy.
Isn't that a good thing? If ever I see a film without grain, I get suspicious. Grain's naturally part of a film stock.  Whenever it's removed with the dreaded digital noise reduction, the picture loses detail because of it. In the most extreme cases, people on the screen look like waxworks because the DNR was so excessive.

People tend to be split with the Blu-Ray release of The Dark Knight. I've read opinions considering it reference quality and crystal-clear, while others can't overlook the haloing and DNR.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.