What's the better film: Forever or Returns?

Started by Shan45, Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 21:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Returns or Forever

Batman Forever
7 (17.5%)
Batman Returns
33 (82.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jaws was undeniably a hit.

Star Wars is an institution and pretty much invented the merchandising tie-in (among other things).

Hands down, Star Wars is simply the bigger (and not just in box office dollars) of the two.

There is no comparison. Jaws was basically just a one film concept - shark near a beach, and it was milked for how many sequels after. Sure, same can be said of Star Wars, but at least the storylines can be more elaborate and varied. Jaws is really a one-trick pony that doesn't have the massive appeal Star Wars does.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 00:48
There is no comparison. Jaws was basically just a one film concept - shark near a beach, and it was milked for how many sequels after. Sure, same can be said of Star Wars, but at least the storylines can be more elaborate and varied. Jaws is really a one-trick pony that doesn't have the massive appeal Star Wars does.

Hey, on balance I probably prefer Star Wars over Jaws.  All I'm saying is Jaws must still count as the first big summer blockbuster.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 00:40
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 00:32
Star Wars is the first summer blockbuster.  Jaws is just a scary shark movie.

Until Star Wars, Jaws was the biggest earning film of all time, and it was released in the summer.  Thus, it was a summer blockbuster.

AND BEFORE THAT The Godfather was the highest grossing film of all time.

Yeah, but The Godfather wasn't released in the Summer.   Plus, it was a drama for a primarily adult audience as opposed to a thriller/genre pic for a younger audience like Jaws and Star Wars.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 11:52
Yeah, but The Godfather wasn't released in the Summer.   Plus, it was a drama for a primarily adult audience as opposed to a thriller/genre pic for a younger audience like Jaws and Star Wars.

And I bet you fel the same about The Sting. That also made a sh*t LOAD of money!

Mmm, the Godfather duology.  I love those two movies.

mmmmmm Darrell. Jaws was the first summer blockbuster FACT!

Jaws made more money than The Sting and Godfather put together FACT!

And anyway, money or merchandise doesnt define the summer blockbuster. It is margeting and stratagey of selling the picture.

Jaws could have opened in over 1000 cinema's, but universal held it back and only opened to 900 - which was still more than any other picture up until then. Universal did do a lot of advertising once the picture had came out! Not before, like what they do now. Because they knew the impact it was having on the public. Jaws' first advertising was 'word of mouth', universal jumped on that! And because of this 'word of mouth' marketing campain Jaws only made more and more money as the months went by, wheres as Blockbusters these days make a sh1t load of money in the first weekend then die off and are replaced by something a week later.

Also, Jaws was No.1 in the cinema from its release until the end of september! How many pictures can boast that?

Jaws wasnt designed for sequels, unlike Star Wars. But you have to admit, Lucas has milked that movie dry! You wanna talk about lame sequels, lets talk about  The Phantom Menace,  or the Clone Wars!!

JAWS still sucks...
The story BEHIND the movie was much more interesting.

When did this thread degenerate from a Returns v Forever topic to one solely revolving around Jaws.  Can we stick to the topic guys?

Can anyone convince me why Forever is even remotely a patch on Returns?