Kilmer is sort of like Keaton in a way

Started by Shan45, Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  6 Aug  2009, 09:00
I didn't hate Kilmer like Clooney. He had the traits there and he also had more potential. I think if Forever's darkness and grit factor was ratcheted up considerably, he could have been impressive. However, I can only judge what appears in the film. Kilmer couldn't play Wayne or Batman with the same ellusive childlike innocence and intensity that Keaton managed.
I don't disagree with any of that.  But ya know what?  I could live with that if Kilmer had found a way to make the part his own.  You can't expect every actor to have the same interpretation of a character.  That's cool, I'm down with that.  But Kilmer never found a way to approach the role with fresh eyes.  If he didn't want to do a (spotty) Keaton impression, well, I wouldn't hold that against him.  If he wanted to create a new character out of the role, I wouldn't hold that against him.

But.  Aping Keaton's style without any of Keaton's finesse or edge?  Unforgivable.  All that serves to do is drive home how dearly I miss Michael in the role.

In my opinion, there can be no higher disservice to a talent as extreme as Kilmer (seriously, check out the guy's resume, he's a great film actor).

I agree colors but still think that if not for Schumacher we would have gotten alot better out of Kilmer, Though i still think he did alright with what he had esp after i saw the deleted scenes.

QuoteIn my opinion, there can be no higher disservice to a talent as extreme as Kilmer (seriously, check out the guy's resume, he's a great film actor).

Understatement :)

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 24 Aug  2009, 05:03
In my opinion, there can be no higher disservice to a talent as extreme as Kilmer (seriously, check out the guy's resume, he's a great film actor).

Quote from: Sandman on Tue, 25 Aug  2009, 01:08
I agree colors but still think that if not for Schumacher we would have gotten alot better out of Kilmer, Though i still think he did alright with what he had esp after i saw the deleted scenes.

QuoteIn my opinion, there can be no higher disservice to a talent as extreme as Kilmer (seriously, check out the guy's resume, he's a great film actor).

Understatement :)

Agreed. I like him a lot in other movies.