Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland'

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 22 Jun 2009, 10:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 5 Mar 2010, 02:10 #50 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Mar 2010, 02:35 by gordonblu
To celebrate the opening tomorrow, here is a screencap of the Jabberwocky from Terry Gilliam's solo-directorial debut! I would have posted a pic of Burton's Jabberwocky but I  can't find any pics online.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I'm seeing Alice in Wonderland soon.

Hope it delivers. In any case, it's going to look amazing.

After this film though, I think Burton needs to do a hard R gothic romp to free himself of constraints. You know, how he has to balance his dark sensibilities with Disney and so on. I expect the film will not be totally "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland", if you get what I mean.

He needs another Sweeney Todd.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Mar  2010, 02:25

After this film though, I think Burton needs to do a hard R gothic romp to free himself of constraints. You know, how he has to balance his dark sensibilities with Disney and so on. I expect the film will not be totally "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland", if you get what I mean.

I think they pretty much gave him carte blanche. After all, Nightmare Before Christmas is one of their hottest properties right now.

Yeah, well, he still has PG-13 limitations to deal with.

Fri, 5 Mar 2010, 04:45 #54 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Mar 2010, 04:50 by gordonblu
I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Having limitations can actually improve creativity. A good example is Monty Python and the Holy Grail; they didn't have a big enough budget for horses, so they invented the whole coconut gag. Another example is Robin's Reckoning pt. 1. They weren't allowed to actually show Robin's parents falling or seeing them dead or anything so they used the shadows on the tent to see them performing and then had the frayed rope swing into view,implying what happened and  making it one of the most artistic moments on the show.

I don't think graphic violence really has a place in Alice anyway. The beheading of the jabberwocky is the only real incident in the books, while the Queen of Hearts is all bark and no bite in reality. The Gryphon  makes it pretty clear in his dialogue with Alice:

Gryphon:"What Fun!"
Alice:"What is the fun?
Gryphon:"Why, she. It's all her fancy, that; They never execute nobody, you know. Come on!"

Violent versions are fine like American McGee's version, but I think you can have a gothic version without bloodshed. Burton is pretty good with staying true to source material and I think the PG rating was his choice.

Seeing it tomorrow, really looking forward to it !  ;D
My balloons. Those are my balloons. HE STOLE MY BALLOONS!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Mar  2010, 02:25

NO! Not another f@%&ing musical! I like it when actors talk ;)

I agree, I'd love to see him make another Gothic Horror, but it would have to top Sleepy Hollow. That movie had it all for Hammer fans.

As for Wonderland, I'll catch it one of these days, but I'm not terribly excited.

Sat, 6 Mar 2010, 17:21 #57 Last Edit: Sat, 19 Feb 2011, 02:54 by THE BAT-MAN
I agree that it would be nice to see Burton do another Gothic Horror film.  I've always thought that he would be the perfect director for Dracula.  Even though it seems that he favors the Frankenstein story.   

I could just imagine Tim's Burtonized style for Transylvania with dracula's dark castle,  gothic atmosphere,  full moon nights,  bat motifs, and Danny Elfman's mysterious, romantic dark  gothic score.  If only it would happen, however it has been confirmed that after Alice in Wonderland Tim will direct Dark Shadows which is based on a old horror tv series and will star Johnny Depp.

Mon, 8 Mar 2010, 14:17 #58 Last Edit: Mon, 8 Mar 2010, 14:25 by The Dark Knight
Jett has put a review up of AIW on his site, Nolan on Film.

It's what you would expect. And it starts like this:

QuoteYes, I HATE BATMAN RETURNS.
I flat-out despise that film and will take a shot at it just about every chance I get here on BOF -- that's how I roll.
Yeah, we know how you roll. You're just flaming this war even more. It's what you do best. Making us that much more determined. That much more angry. You didn't have my respect before, and this doesn't help at all. Not one bit.

QuoteFrankly, Burton?s ALICE IN WONDERLAND reminds me a lot of that BATMAN RETURNS he gave us almost 20 years ago. You take classic literary characters (Batman/Alice), give ?em the ?Burton Treatment, and voila -- awesomeness!

Uh, no. Anyway?
If that is so, I cannot wait to see this tomorrow.

And he ends things like this:

QuotePlus, there?s not a drop of black goo to be found anywhere in Underland...
Ugh.

I know that I should probably not be encouraging the demonisation of Jett, but honestly, I can't believe that guy.  He simply doesn't need to continually remind people how much he despises Batman Returns.  It's irrelevant to his review of Alice in Wonderland as far as I'm concerned.  I almost get the impression Jett reviewed the film as a pretext for shooting down Returns again. 

Suffice to say, my personal feelings about Jett and the way he 'rolls'  ::), are much, much less diplomatic than anything I have typed.  Like The Dark Knight states, Jett has done more to fuel the utterly pointless conflict between Nolan and Burton Batman fans than anyone else, and has ironically defeated his own objectives by forcing people such as myself (who enjoy both directors' Batman films) to choose sides, in my case for Burton.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.