Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland'

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 22 Jun 2009, 10:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, agreed, American McGee's Alice is awesome!

As for the new Wonderland, I liked what I saw thus far and I know that I'll enjoy this movie (and its music...) but my "problem" is that one can pretty much already know how it will feel like. I would also rather see Burton deal with an original or a more obscure (a-la Big Fish) project. If he did a movie for every famous book, story or character that works well with his style, his filmography would comprise hundreds of adaptations including the Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio, Grimm fairy tales and many more.

My only real concern is that Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter will end up too similar to Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka.

How amazing would Michael Keaton, or Martin Short (who's played the role well before and gave a great performance in Mars Attacks!) have been as The Mad Hatter?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Fri, 20 Nov 2009, 02:30 #32 Last Edit: Fri, 20 Nov 2009, 02:51 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 20 Nov  2009, 01:32
My only real concern is that Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter will end up too similar to Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka.
Fair call.

I have a feeling Alice in Wonderland will resemble Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The tone seems about the same. I liked that film ( I didn't initially, I thought it was poor, but it's a grower). It's Burton in fun mode rather than serious mode.

It's quite faithful, but I love how Burton expanded Wonka's backstory and extended the ending. He made the Wonka character much deeper and more interesting for me. Top stuff.

It's got all the Burton trademarks there. A bad childhood, fantastic main titles, flashbacks, absurdity, weirdness, the winter setting - set in a practically timeless and placeless environment, expressionism - Charlie's world is monochrome, Wonka's world is bright, etc. I'm sure there is more.

It's not a masterpiece, but it's a fun two and a bit hours.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was perfect material for Burton.  Like Roald Dahl, a sadistic satirical streak runs throughout many of Burton's works, tempered with a touch of sweetness, which is precisely the tone of CatCF, the book and film.  The film might not be perfect.  As a massive fan of the book as a child I'll always have my own version of how Wonka and the other main characters should look and act.  However, I cannot imagine any other director throughout the history of cinema who could have done as good a job as Burton did with that book.

Unlike some others here, I'm actually hoping that Burton doesn't go too dark with Alice in Wonderland.  Yes, there as some dark tones to the story, but the world that Alice finds herself in should initially appear exotic yet also be charming and occasionally even inviting, not a completely grim nightmarish dystopia.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 20 Nov  2009, 01:32

How amazing would Michael Keaton, or Martin Short (who's played the role well before and gave a great performance in Mars Attacks!) have been as The Mad Hatter?

Martin Short as the Hatter again would be PERFECT today. The Mad Hatter is supposed to have a big head, funky nose and a goofy psychotic way of acting.
Johnny looks like the weird handsome version of that and thats why im not too hung up on him as the Hatter.

Martin has the right look IMHO and perfect acting abilities to do him justice.

Michael Keaton, OMG, Id be jumping with anticipation if he got that part. If we're getting a different Hatter than the classic traditional fairy tale, then Id rather go the route of "al la" Beetlejuice!  

I really want to see Keaton do another Beetlejuice, but time is running out fast. Either they do one now, or forget about it all together.

Age sucks. If we aged slower, Id totally vote Keaton to be BATMAN again for a new 3rd installment. God, that would be sooo damn awesome.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Quote from: Batnar on Sat,  5 Dec  2009, 05:51
Age sucks. If we aged slower, Id totally vote Keaton to be BATMAN again for a new 3rd installment. God, that would be sooo damn awesome.
It would be. I wonder if he would do it again, though. He was a little hesitant even coming back for Batman Returns. One thing is for certain, the script would have to be good, and Burton would probably have to be at the helm.

Quote from: Batnar on Sat,  5 Dec  2009, 05:51
I really want to see Keaton do another Beetlejuice, but time is running out fast. Either they do one now, or forget about it all together.

Going by past interviews MK would jump at the chance to do Beetlejuice again if the script was right.

New trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61663

Burton is THE God of visual film making. Delicious shots.

I think the film has been given a darker tint. Which I love. Could be wrong, though.