A Stop Motion Batman Film

Started by waufreak89, Thu, 11 Jun 2009, 00:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Many of Tim Burton's projects involve the use of stop motion animation.  With films like The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride Mr. Burton has shown a mastery of that form.

What if Tim Burton where to make a stop motion Batman film?

With Burton directing and Michael Keaton as Batman again this project would be nothing short of amazing.

What do you think?

It would be an amazing thing to see, I would love to experience that, but too bad I dont ever see it ever happenning.

Tim Burton or Michael Keaton would not be interested in doing it IMO.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: waufreak89 on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 00:29
Many of Tim Burton's projects involve the use of stop motion animation.  With films like The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride Mr. Burton has shown a mastery of that form.

What if Tim Burton where to make a stop motion Batman film?

With Burton directing and Michael Keaton as Batman again this project would be nothing short of amazing.

What do you think?

To be honest, I don't see what stop-motion would add to Batman.  I loved Burton's use of 'real' actors in his Batman films, and the semi-realistic atmosphere he created.

I'm curious to know how you believe that a stop-motion Batman would work waufreak.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think it would just be something cool to watch, I mean we've already had live action Batman, comic Book Batman, Animated Batman ( plent of times) I think another medium might be cool, I mean for me the more of The Batman I get the better! ;D

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Thu, 11 Jun 2009, 01:03 #4 Last Edit: Thu, 11 Jun 2009, 01:06 by waufreak89
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 00:35
To be honest, I don't see what stop-motion would add to Batman.  I loved Burton's use of 'real' actors in his Batman films, and the semi-realistic atmosphere he created.

I'm curious to know how you believe that a stop-motion Batman would work waufreak.

I think a lot could be done with a stop motion Batman film.  For starters many of Batman's rogues gallery lend themselves to the form.  Yes it is always cool to see live action actors transform themselves into comic book villains but equally interesting in my opinion is seeing what stop motion could offer.  With live action the reality is that filmmakers are taking actors and transforming them through make-up, costuming, and special effects.  With stop motion the characters are literally being sculpted, crafted in a way that allows for near infinite design possibilities.

Sets could also be explored in a different manor.  It can be difficult for filmmakers to find a shooting location for a place the size of Gotham.  Yes past Batman filmmakers have done amazing jobs of bringing to the city to life.  But imagine what could be done when the city is built in model form at a fraction of the cost of full sets.

If nothing else the film would break ground in the genre of super hero movies.  To the best of knowledge no super hero film has been made with stop motion.  Which is bit surprising when you consider the closeness that medium shares with the comic book source material.

This whole idea really came about while I was thinking about how much Burton has done with stop motion.  I know Burton has long since moved on from the Batman material and I respect that.  I wouldn't want him coming back to it again just because fans forced him to. I believe that it would take a new wrinkle to re-spark Burton's interest in the franchise.  And based on Burton's previous work and sensibilities as a director, stop motion seems like the best candidate to bring him back.

I've always loved the concept of a s.m. Batman movie since first seeing Nightmare. I'm sure it's not too late to make one, & I doubt that Burton & Keaton would pass up the chance to make their long-awaited return to the Batverse. ;D

I'd love Burton to do another Batman film (I know it's never gonna happen though).  However, I'd rather it was a live-action continuation of the films he has already made (i.e. the end of an unofficial trilogy).

I do however, see your point regarding stop-motion, although I'd prefer to see it used for another comic-book character rather than Batman.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 01:39
I'd love Burton to do another Batman film (I know it's never gonna happen though).  However, I'd rather it was a live-action continuation of the films he has already made (i.e. the end of an unofficial trilogy).

Or how about a t.v. series?

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 01:53

I'd love to see a Batman live-action TV series, but I'd prefer to see the Nolan series run its course first.  I do recall rumours of a Bruce Wayne TV series a while back, something along the lines of a Batman version of 'Smallville'.  That would be fantastic.

It's a pity 'Birds of Prey' was cancelled so soon.

Anyway, back to topic, your concept is well thought out waufreak, and even though my own personal preference is for live-action, I know many people who would love a stop-motion Batman.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 02:05
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Thu, 11 Jun  2009, 01:53

I'd love to see a Batman live-action TV series, but I'd prefer to see the Nolan series run its course first. 

I was talking about a s.m. Batman series by Burton.  ;)