"Tim Burton's BATMAN"

Started by batass4880, Sun, 7 Jun 2009, 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I feel a Butonised Joker would have been less traditional and more violent. Possibly in line with Heath's version.

You have to wonder, though; if Batman were a pure Burton film, with the same tone as Batman Returns, would Burton have been given the green light to make more Batman films? Seeing as how WB didn't do so after how soccer mommies complained about BR's tone & plot, & how McDonald's cut their ties to the film because of that, would a film like " Tim Burton's 'BATMAN' " meet the general liking & financial success that the real Batman movie had?

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 14 Jun  2009, 02:01
You have to wonder, though; if Batman were a pure Burton film, with the same tone as Batman Returns, would Burton have been given the green light to make more Batman films? Seeing as how WB didn't do so after how soccer mommies complained about BR's tone & plot, & how McDonald's cut their ties to the film because of that, would a film like " Tim Burton's 'BATMAN' " meet the general liking & financial success that the real Batman movie had?

I think you're right Dark Knight Detective, and as much as I love Returns as a personal movie, I still think the combination of Burton's artistic flair and the producers' commercial instinct made the first Batman arguably the best of all the live-action Batman films so far.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well...personally, I would rather have one full on Burtonised Batman film like Batman Returns,  than several only 'half going there' efforts. Still love Batman (1989), it's just how I feel on the matter.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Jun  2009, 02:12
Well...personally, I would rather have one full on Burtonised Batman film like Batman Returns,  than several only 'half going there' efforts. Still love Batman (1989), it's just how I feel on the matter.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm grateful we got both, but I certainly don't regard the first Batman film as a half-measure, although oddly I get the impression that Tim Burton isn't so proud of it as he is of his other films possibly because of studio interference.

The reason why I love the first Batman is because it is the perfect combination of everything that is great about Batman, and everything that is great about Burton.  It's 'Burtman', if you will.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sun, 14 Jun 2009, 02:46 #16 Last Edit: Sun, 14 Jun 2009, 02:55 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 14 Jun  2009, 02:33
I'm grateful we got both, but I certainly don't regard the first Batman film as a half-measure, although oddly I get the impression that Tim Burton isn't so proud of it as he is of his other films possibly because of studio interference.

I mean, Batman isn't a half-cooked film, don't get me wrong, it's just that it's a shame that Burton wasn't able to "go all out", so to say, like he usually does. Just personal preference.

But, then again, if it weren't for Peters' & Gubers' roles in the film's productiont, there might not have been a Batman Returns...

I basically view the 1989 Batman film as a great amalgam between the early Kane/Finger issues, pieces of the mythology of what makes Batman great, and Tim Burton's unique artistic direction.

Personally, I think the film works on several different levels, and it's essentially the film that still to this day, is my absolute favourite Batman film. As I really believe it truly hit the flavor that it always intended to go for.

Batman Returns is certainly more Burtonized, and I consider it a good movie, but i have to really question on if Tim would have even been brought back for a sequel if he were allowed to direct and have the creative freedom on Batman 1989, like he did with Batman Returns.

The different reactions to Returns, "Oh, this is so much darker!/Oh, this is much lighter!" is proof enough that there was a definate mixed reaction to say the least. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I really don't think he would have been brought back if he went full out Burton style for Batman89. I'm just glad he got the oppurtunity to do so with Returns. We got a taste of both styles.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Jun  2009, 14:53
I really don't think he would have been brought back if he went full out Burton style for Batman89. I'm just glad he got the oppurtunity to do so with Returns. We got a taste of both styles.

Yeah, and at the same time I find it extremely bittersweet knowing that Burton was actually interested in following up Batman Returns, but as we all know by now, WB immediately downplayed that suggestion and the rest, as they say, is history.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."