Why? (Museum escape)

Started by The Dark Knight, Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 09:27 #10 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 09:30 by DocLathropBrown
It actually makes a fair amount of sense.

*They're already causing enough of a commotion, and the Joker's goons don't give a damn about hurting innocent civillians. Better to draw them into an alley, away from the bystanders who, in true comic book fashion, would probably just stay in the way and get themselves hurt by gawking. Instead, they're left gawking at the Batmobile, not following them into the danger.

*Had things gone smoothly, they could have double-backed via the roofs to elude the Joker's thugs and get back to the car, without risking confrontation. Yes, Batman won, but he's no fool, he's skilled, but sh*t could have happened. If the thugs hadn't been lousy shots, they would have hit Vicki when they fired up at her. See? Big risk, luck that the bullets missed her. Avoiding confrontation at all would have been safer/more logical.

*The bulldozer probably wasn't going to move. As I said before: commotion. The guy running the thing is gonna be too tripped out by the Batmobile to get enough brainpower flowing to move in time for Batman and Vicki to safely get away. The guy running the bulldozer ain't just gonna cotinue as-usual while the Batman is right there.

*Bulletproof glass isn't totally invincible, it's just really damn resiliant. It's meant to keep you safe while you GET AWAY. Enough impacts, and it shatters. I'll bet that the shields cut off all oxygen, so you probably wouldn't want to be inside while it's sealed. An oxygen supply? Maybe. But enough to stay in the car while the Goons tried continuously to get in, with no way out because of all the commotion around? Bale's Batman would just blow sh*t up to get a clear path, I guess, but that ain't Keaton's Batman.

*Not to mention the fact that if they stay in the car, as sitting ducks, unable to go anywhere, the police would try to remove the Batmobile (in the novel, it's mentioned that during the alley fight, the Police brought in a Tow Truck to try to remove the shielded Batmobile), and it's better for the car to be lost by itself than to be towed away inside the car, thus unable to get away and being taken right to the police.

In the book, Batman, in a way, prettymuch sums all this up with three words. Right when they stop, Vicki starts to suggest something (which we're left to imagine): "Couldn't we...?"

Batman replies: "Too many people!"

There, that says it all. To try anything else would have put the gawkers around at risk. Not to mention make them sitting ducks, logically, for either the Joker's men or the police. Better to take the fight away from the populated areas, and that way, you have more options, you're not backed into a corner. The Batmobile clearly had no way out once they did stop, as there would have been traffic around it.

Logic, man. Logic!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

The Doc's right.

How long do they sit there? Batman is a wanted vigilante - the cops would have done everything to bring him in (notice the tow-truck as the Batmobile drives away) and the Joker's goons would have done anything to kill him - even of that means killing civilians.

Batman made a decision to draw the fight away form the public and escape via rooftops. whether his grapling hook was able to lift 2 is another question, perhaps Batman made a mis-judgement; but that gives a more human dimension.

And as Doc says - he ain't Bale-Batman - he doesn't blow up sh*t in his way.

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 12:08 #12 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 12:32 by The Dark Knight
Solid arguments there, guys. You've washed away my doubts. I really do want to look at this scene in a positive light.

If he remained in the Batmobile any longer, the police would have surrounded him. He would've been blocked in with nowhere to go, except being towed back to Police HQ against his wishes. He couldn't have really done anything about it, either.

With the bulldozer blocking his path and Joker's goons fast approaching from behind, Batman would have had a feeling of wanting to be on the move and getting away at all times.

And with a surrounded Batmobile, Joker's goons would have fired upon it all night and day (eventually probably getting stronger weapons such as rocket launchers). And, like you say, the fight would have escalated into a police vs Joker goon war, with civilians in the cross fire.

That takes care of the remaining in the Batmobile scenario.

mmmmmmmm, because the police were behind them???

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 17:54 #14 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 18:00 by TheBatMan0887
If it weren't for this, they would have gone right to the Bat Cave. If you count, this is about the second time Joker assults the public eye. The allyway fight is supposed to also be the ending of the assult on the museum in Joker's second appearance most likely, only with Joker's goons doing this rather the police. It is the film's version I would presume.

One thing is certain, without this, this part from the comic would not be there.
A smiley's impression of Jack Nicholson    8)

Now as Jack's Joker laughing   :D

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat,  6 Jun  2009, 09:27
It actually makes a fair amount of sense.

*They're already causing enough of a commotion, and the Joker's goons don't give a damn about hurting innocent civillians. Better to draw them into an alley, away from the bystanders who, in true comic book fashion, would probably just stay in the way and get themselves hurt by gawking. Instead, they're left gawking at the Batmobile, not following them into the danger.

*Had things gone smoothly, they could have double-backed via the roofs to elude the Joker's thugs and get back to the car, without risking confrontation. Yes, Batman won, but he's no fool, he's skilled, but sh*t could have happened. If the thugs hadn't been lousy shots, they would have hit Vicki when they fired up at her. See? Big risk, luck that the bullets missed her. Avoiding confrontation at all would have been safer/more logical.

*The bulldozer probably wasn't going to move. As I said before: commotion. The guy running the thing is gonna be too tripped out by the Batmobile to get enough brainpower flowing to move in time for Batman and Vicki to safely get away. The guy running the bulldozer ain't just gonna cotinue as-usual while the Batman is right there.

*Bulletproof glass isn't totally invincible, it's just really damn resiliant. It's meant to keep you safe while you GET AWAY. Enough impacts, and it shatters. I'll bet that the shields cut off all oxygen, so you probably wouldn't want to be inside while it's sealed. An oxygen supply? Maybe. But enough to stay in the car while the Goons tried continuously to get in, with no way out because of all the commotion around? Bale's Batman would just blow sh*t up to get a clear path, I guess, but that ain't Keaton's Batman.

*Not to mention the fact that if they stay in the car, as sitting ducks, unable to go anywhere, the police would try to remove the Batmobile (in the novel, it's mentioned that during the alley fight, the Police brought in a Tow Truck to try to remove the shielded Batmobile), and it's better for the car to be lost by itself than to be towed away inside the car, thus unable to get away and being taken right to the police.

In the book, Batman, in a way, prettymuch sums all this up with three words. Right when they stop, Vicki starts to suggest something (which we're left to imagine): "Couldn't we...?"

Batman replies: "Too many people!"

There, that says it all. To try anything else would have put the gawkers around at risk. Not to mention make them sitting ducks, logically, for either the Joker's men or the police. Better to take the fight away from the populated areas, and that way, you have more options, you're not backed into a corner. The Batmobile clearly had no way out once they did stop, as there would have been traffic around it.

Logic, man. Logic!

Brilliant Doc. Good to see you again.

"Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play." - (Heraclitus)

WOW! This is one great argument here, though It was one of my favorite parts of the film!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.