Why? (Museum escape)

Started by The Dark Knight, Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:14 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 12:49 by ral
A bulldozer is infront of the Batmobile.

Batman and Vicki Vale get out of the bulletproof and practically indestructible Batmobile for no good reason.

They then run down some random alley putting themselves and nearby civilians in danger.

Surely there is a navigation system in the car so he could sit and wait protected in the car's armor, then when the bulldozer is gone just continue on his way.

There was a side street right there, so why not turn that way?

Why not throw the car into reverse?

Why not turn on the armor and stay in the car?

I find the scene pointless. There's no logic to it - and it reeks of an excuse for an obligatory fight scene.

Must of have been clearing for the anniversary celebration!

Don't even get me started on moments more pointless than this, PLEASE!

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:29 #3 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:36 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat,  6 Jun  2009, 03:28
I am addressing this scene, nothing more, nothing less.

So you admit the scene is pointless?

Can you offer any form of explanation to it?

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:39 #4 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 15:38 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Jun  2009, 03:29
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat,  6 Jun  2009, 03:28

I am addressing this scene, nothing more, nothing less.

So you admit the scene is pointless?

Can you offer any form of explanation to it?

Well, this moment is a little silly, but I was talking about scenes from other live action Batman films that were more pointless than this.

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:40 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:43 by Tarzan1941
All of these are excellent questions and no, I cannot answer a single one of them.  However, I can add one more:  Why did it take an hour into the film before the Batmobile makes its debut?!

The only things off of the top of my head are the following:

Tim Burton had no idea how to shoot a car chase, let alone an action scene.  At this point in his career his biggest chase scene was Pee-Wee Herman rescuing his bike on the Warner Bros. lot.  He had to get them out of the car so that he could get comfortable as a director and  could handle the material better.  But then again, with the writer's strike going on, perhaps he had to improvise, and change the script.  I do not know as I haven't read every single draft of the screenplay floating around out there.  This also is where your second unit director steps in and shoots these scenes.  A good second unit director can make a hack look like a magician.  Not calling Tim Burton a hack, but you will hopefully get my point.

Perhaps Batman didn't trust his car to do the job, so he abandoned it and returned to the familiar territory that was the dark alley ways and the rooftops of Gotham City.  However if this was the case, we, the audience, never learned this directly, but can only speculate as to why he would leave his car in the first place.

The other reason I can think of getting Batman and Vale out of the Batmobile is probably the silliest and dumbest reasons of all:  despite Gotham City being a metropolis, there just was no room on the set to shoot a full blown out car chase.  I can hear it now, "There goes the Monarch Theater.  And Parliament.  Again." (Brownie points if you get that reference!) as the Batmobile and the Joker's Goons in their yellow and purple cars go zooming by in the most un-inspired car chase ever commited to celluloid. Could this scene and a lot of other scenes be handled much better?  Absolutely!  Besides, if they hadn't exited the Batmobile, we wouldn't have learned that Vicky Vale weighs 108 pounds, or so she claims.

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:45 #6 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 03:51 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Tarzan1941 on Sat,  6 Jun  2009, 03:40
All of these are excellent questions and no, I cannot answer a single one of them.  

Neither can I.

I challenge anybody on here to do so, in a logical manner.

And I don't want discussion of any other silly moments from Batman films taking place here. I am talking about THIS one. Hence the thread about it.

Quote"There goes the Monarch Theater.  And Parliament.  Again." (Brownie points if you get that reference!)
National Lampoon's European Vacation!

Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 06:47 #8 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Jun 2009, 08:11 by The Dark Knight
Thought so. Nobody can give any explanation to this scene.

They either make side jokes or say they will post a different pointless moment later on. Just diversion tactics.

Sure it was always a little daft.

But the claustrophobia of Gotham always made that "nowhere to run" thing a little more plausible.

And assuming you rolled with it, Bats and Vicki leaving the batmobile introduced a whole element of vulnerability to that chase. They're suddenly in the open. In that city. After all, a car chase in an indestructable car is gonna be pretty boring :P

It ups the threat. I, for one, really liked it, and am willing to suspend my disbelief. :)