Val Kilmer was the best Batman in the Burton/Schumacher era

Started by Keatonfan#1, Sun, 20 Jan 2008, 06:35

Previous topic - Next topic
I've read in some old articles that Kilmer sometimes acted egotistically during shooting. It was said that in one instance he almost punched Schumacher (held him against a wall I think) or something. Such things happen in movies. Or maybe Schumacher attempted to "hit" him?

Don't know (or care) and this is tabloid material, the point is Kilmer isn't the warmest person. He wanted to do the Saint anyway.

I didn't mean to say Michael Keaton was "replaced". Michael Keaton left the production because he no longer wanted to be Batman, So they found some one who would be better fit for the role. In this case, Val Kilmer who was taller than Keaton.

And as for Val Kilmer. He was never "replaced". He actually pissed off Joel Schumacher for letting him know at the last minute that he was not returning for the Batman Forever film, and that he was taking the lead role in The Saint instead.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Yeah, "creative differences". Schumacher was pretty pissed off at Kilmer.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Yeah, definitely no love lost there.  Apparently they were something less than bosom buddies on the set of BF as well.

Quote from: Joker89 on Thu,  7 Aug  2008, 18:01
Yeah, "creative differences". Schumacher was pretty pissed off at Kilmer.

Well if you signed of for the third movie that follows to exellent films and was told that you wern't allowed to play the role the way you orignally wanted to, had to drive around it the 2nd worst looking Batmobile in history and forced to wear a nipple suit i think you'd be a little pissed off aswell.

He wore a nipple suit in 'Forever', I don't think that bothered him at all. The point is that he had scheduling conflicts which pissed Schumacher off in the end result.

Im truly glad that Keaton didnt come back for a third, the tone for BF was fine the way it was with Kilmer, it was a good representation os some of the 70's era batman comics.

Kilmer was definitly pretty close to the Dennis O'Neil Batman.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Kilmer really looked like Keaton in the Batman suit if you look carefully at the opening shot of Kilmer standing on the batcave platform, and the camera zooms in on his face as he says "I'll get drive-thru". It almost seems like they were trying to duplicate Keaton's performance at first.

Well Kilmer did say one of his biggest problems was he wanted to play Batman like Keaton did, but Schumacher wanted a new take on Batman. Im so glad Keaton never said "I'll get drive-thru".

Quote from: Sandman on Wed, 17 Sep  2008, 04:39
Well Kilmer did say one of his biggest problems was he wanted to play Batman like Keaton did, but Schumacher wanted a new take on Batman. Im so glad Keaton never said "I'll get drive-thru".

Yeah, you and me both. Stinkin' Schumacher. >:(