Val Kilmer was the best Batman in the Burton/Schumacher era

Started by Keatonfan#1, Sun, 20 Jan 2008, 06:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: zDBZ on Sat, 23 May  2009, 21:27
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat, 23 May  2009, 18:57
^I've read that Val wanted to act in a way that was similar to Keaton, but Joel didn't want him to portray a dark Batman. At least he worked well with what he was given. Clooney just acted like himself throughout all of B&R, if you ask me (although his characterization has elements of the Adam West Batman) .
I've read that as well, and I've seen interviews that highly imply that Kilmer and Schumacher didn't see eye-to-eye. But I don't think that Kilmer did well in the role, and I don't get the impression that either he or Schumacher won out in the end. The way the performance is in the film suggests to me that the two went blow to blow, neither of them made the other back down, and so we're left a performance that has absolutely no strong grounding or vision.

I agree to that, and I'd like to add that by watching the movie one has the impression that Kilmer was a bit bored and just wanted to be done with it, say his lines, get the paycheque, move on.

The following is from an article:

"When asked why he didn't return for a fourth installment, Kilmer said he liked the characterization of Simon Templar better than Bruce Wayne. Kilmer commented 'Simon is a literary character who uses his wit, and not violence. Batman is a real screwed-up guy who has hustled an entire city, and now he's running around in a cape. What's it all about?' "

Sounds like Val had wanted no further involvement with Batman as long as Joel was in the director's chair.

Kilmer was a adequate Batman in my personal opinion. Actually, I liked him alright in the role back in 1995 when Batman Forever made it's debut that summer.

As far as ranking him with the other Bat-Men who have put on the cowl for the big budgeted WB films, I would place Kilmer as the 3rd best. Behind Keaton, and Bale of course.

Clooney? Never cared for his Batman. At. All.

To me, Clooney was just Clooney in B&R. With the same exact mannerisms, and tone of voice I've seen from alot of other stuff I can sit here and go thru.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 25 May  2009, 14:48
Clooney? Never cared for his Batman. At. All.

To me, Clooney was just Clooney in B&R. With the same exact mannerisms, and tone of voice I've seen from alot of other stuff I can sit here and go thru.

Well, Clooney did say in an interview(albeit jokingly as always) that he decided to play Bruce/Batman as if he were a young doctor on a hit medical show! My favorite interview with him was the one where he said he convinced Arnold to have open heart surgery when there was nothing wrong with his heart in the first place!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Tue, 26 May  2009, 04:27
Well, Clooney did say in an interview(albeit jokingly as always) that he decided to play Bruce/Batman as if he were a young doctor on a hit medical show!

Such an awesome approach!  ;D

QuoteMy favorite interview with him was the one where he said he convinced Arnold to have open heart surgery when there was nothing wrong with his heart in the first place!

Poor Arnold.

I still remember to this day Arnold speaking about playing Mr. Freeze on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno WELL before Batman and Robin came out, and how he downplayed his Terminator role by saying something along the lines of, "This guy is going to make the Terminator look like a babysitter!".

::)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 26 May  2009, 15:10
Quote from: gordonblu on Tue, 26 May  2009, 04:27
Well, Clooney did say in an interview(albeit jokingly as always) that he decided to play Bruce/Batman as if he were a young doctor on a hit medical show!

Such an awesome approach!  ;D

QuoteMy favorite interview with him was the one where he said he convinced Arnold to have open heart surgery when there was nothing wrong with his heart in the first place!

Poor Arnold.

I still remember to this day Arnold speaking about playing Mr. Freeze on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno WELL before Batman and Robin came out, and how he downplayed his Terminator role by saying something along the lines of, "This guy is going to make the Terminator look like a babysitter!".

::)

Im with you on that one, I feel like Arnold couldve done so much more with a serious, dark script, he definitly coulda been good at the role.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.