Previous topic - Next topic

Which one is better?

Batman
15 (78.9%)
Batman Returns
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

1989 Gotham.

The Gotham for Returns is nice as well, but I find the Gotham seen in Burton's first Bat-flick more to my liking overall. As I could definately see something like a Batman being a product so-to-speak of that sort of environment.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I couldn't decide. I like them both equally so I looked to see which one was behind and voted for that one! ;D GO UNDERDOG GO! ;D
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Thu, 21 May  2009, 05:50
I couldn't decide. I like them both equally so I looked to see which one was behind and voted for that one! ;D GO UNDERDOG GO! ;D

What a relief (it was sort of getting lonely being the only voter for the latter) !

Believe me there is no need to be sorry that Returns is behind, it's a matter of opinion really. I voted for Batman '89 but I wonder though why BR wasn't nominated for an Oscar for Art Direction / Production/ Set Design? Is it because Batman won so they decided to set their sights somewhere else? Batman Returns set design/Gotham was some of the best I've seen in a film and hats off to Bo Welch and Tim Burton.

For me it was 89. The quirkiness of the Returns sets though fantastic and awe-inspiring were a little over bearing for me when it came to sensing the reality of the city..

Quote from: ral on Thu, 21 May  2009, 14:16
For me it was 89. The quirkiness of the Returns sets though fantastic and awe-inspiring were a little over bearing for me when it came to sensing the reality of the city..

Took the words right of my mouth.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Definitely the 1989 Gotham. Looks like such a gothic city, much better than the cleaned up Gotham in Returns. When you saw this city, you knew something was wrong. A gothic, steam filled city with corrupt policemen, hookers, drug dealers, thugs, muggers, and to top it off- a vilgilante that dresses like a Bat-terrorizing the city citizens.
*Wipes blood off of Newspaper*
-Winged freak TERRORIZES? Wait'll they get a load of me.

Indeed.

Just from that first shot of Gotham (your avatar, Jack Napier) , I'd be scared out of my mind to walk those streets at night. An absolutely frightening proposition.

My personal preference is for the Returns aesthetic, but both are masterpieces of design in film and Anton Furst's Gotham for the first Batman isn't any less great.

I can't pick one.  They each suit the movies they featured in.  The first Gotham was almost a pre-Batman city; grimy, sleazy and crime-ridden.  By Returns, the city seems a lot more commercially-based, cleaned-up and glitzier, yet still feels oppressive and stifling, thanks to the Fascistic architecture.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.