Batman 89 and Batman Returns trading cards!

Started by Batnar, Thu, 14 May 2009, 20:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey buds! So at the card show in PA, I managed to score 2 boxes of Batman movie cards!  :)

These were unopened boxes and I thought I'd open a couple of packs for you guys with pics. The original Batman cards came with that neat promo poster and the Returns cards are just awesome in quality.
The 89 cards were printed on what looks like recycled card stock and are more sensetive to scuffing than the new stadium  version of Batman Returns card stock. But I really enjoyed these.

I do have an uncut roll of Batman 89 leaning on my wall in the back. I'll take a pic of that soon.  ;)

I'm sure you will notice the chip on the stick of gum here....  Yes. My best friend dared me to chew it... lmao.. its a stick of gum from 1989 and he totally dared me to take a bite... and I did...  :'(
I immediately spit the stuff out. OMG... It was like putting a hard chalky stick of old powdered "Sweet'n'low' sugar replacement sweetener in my mouth.. I tried to keep it in my mouth but i couldn't do it.

It had to be done. It was there. Begging to be chewed. lol. Never again.

These cards here are beautiful. Nice glossy finishes and high quality images printed on the cards..

Over all good stuff for 15 dollars.  :)

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

I have the poster for the 2nd series of the 89 topps cards on the site

I didn't know the 1st series was almost the same  :) cool

I have a box myself, but i never dared eat the gum!

Here is the partially finished topps gallery i started about a year ago!
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/topps.php?series=1
i must finish it!

I have every single Returns trading card released. The glossy cards, regular cards and the stickers. They are outstanding.

Awesome Ral! I never saw those! You had to have spent a great deal of time scanning them. Thanks for doing it!

And yeah DK, the Returns cards are the best. I do have the 89 glossy cards too and those are just as great. =]
They make good for reference while building my suit up.  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

I just ordered some Merlin stickers from 1989. I have two sticker albums but never got any stickers for them! Were they released in the US?
Quote from: Batnar on Fri, 15 May  2009, 04:31
Awesome Ral! I never saw those! You had to have spent a great deal of time scanning them.

Alot of time - but i'm gonna do it again to make them bigger.

Quote from: ral on Fri, 15 May  2009, 11:24
I just ordered some Merlin stickers from 1989. I have two sticker albums but never got any stickers for them! Were they released in the US?
Awesome Ral! I never saw those! You had to have spent a great deal of time scanning them.

Alot of time - but i'm gonna do it again to make them bigger.

I got the Merlin album & 1 pack of stickers free with an issue of 'Fast Forward', (British teen mag). Those things were huge! Unfortunately, I could never afford any more packs as they were alot dearer than normal stickers.  :'(

As for the Topps cards, I collected the 1st series of B89 back in the day & almost have a full set, (but didn't know about the 'bonus' cards until tonight!) I can't remember if they released the 2nd series in the UK.  :-\ I might just buy an unopened box off ebay & brave the gum....mmmm, chalky, not chewy!  ::)

Sat, 16 May 2009, 04:45 #8 Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2009, 04:59 by The Dark Knight
I do have the 89 glossy cards too and those are just as great. =]
I'm going to look into purchasing the complete Batman89 card collection soon. Are the glossy Batman89 cards very similar (or exactly the same standard) to the glossy Returns cards, Batnar?

You scored those all for $15 bucks?!?!  Dude, that is a fantastic find in my book!

Last year I managed to score both Series 1 and 2 Collector Editions from 1989 for $15 with the seal un-broken.  I was beyond psyched!

A few years back I bought from a comic book store in Maryland, a 36 count box of the 2nd 89 series for $5 dollars. 

I still have every single wrapper that the cards came in from 89 and 92.  Back in 1989 when I was just a kid, instead of using my lunch money for, well, lunch I went to the local grocery store and bought every single package of Series 1 they had.  I asked the clerk what where they going to do with the box.  She said, "Probably throw it away."  I asked if I could keep it and she said sure.  I have since put all my wrappers in there.

There is a series of 24 Batman Returns cards that were a promo from Zellers, a store in Canada.  and I have had my eye on them for awhile now at this collector mall I go to, but the vendor wants $15 bucks for them.  Don't know fellas, is $15 bucks too much to pay for 24 cards?

Congrats on your mega find again.  That is just awesome!