Favorite Batman comic book outfit

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Sun, 10 May 2009, 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Batman is known for having a wide variety of batsuits. But which one(s) do you like the most?

I'm going to have to go with the "New Look" (the grey/blue or black costume w/ the yellow elipse). I grew up with it, & it has left quite a mark in my life (Batman should still have this appearance in today's comics).

Here's two definitive images of the "New Look":

(by Neal Adams)

(by Norm Breyfogle)

His Bat-Man costume from Detective Comics #31 (Sep 39) is really close to my heart.

A close second is the costume from BATMAN:THE CULT.

Sun, 10 May 2009, 18:25 #2 Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2009, 23:41 by Dark Knight Detective
Here's some homages to DC #31:

(by Neal Adams)

(by Bruce Timm)
(by Matt Wagner)

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 10 May  2009, 18:25
(by Neal Adams)

Always liked that one.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tue, 12 May 2009, 00:42 #4 Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 00:44 by GuedesGothamKnight
My fav is the Jim Lee's design:

I like Andy Kubert's too:

Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

My favorite Batman comic style was and always will be Simon "rockin" Bisley.

Just look at that shhhsss...  ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Quite honestly, I've never liked the look of Batman's costume in the comics. Even as a three-year old kid, I was annoyed by the fact that my hero Batman - the dark, badass creature of the night - wore bright tights and underwear in every incarnation except the movies.

Sat, 30 May 2009, 06:05 #7 Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2009, 14:40 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: zDBZ on Sat, 30 May  2009, 05:56
Quite honestly, I've never liked the look of Batman's costume in the comics. Even as a three-year old kid, I was annoyed by the fact that my hero Batman - the dark, badass creature of the night - wore bright tights and underwear in every incarnation except the movies.

I've read that Bob Kane said that Batman was originally going to wear a black costume, but due to difficulties with the coloring, he had to wear the grey (although there were some comics in the 90's in which he wore a Keaton influenced batsuit).

Besides, a lot of the costumes Batman has worn in the comics, IMO, look a lot better than some of the suits on film (the Sonar suit, the Clooney suits, & the Bale suits).

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat, 30 May  2009, 06:05
Quote from: zDBZ on Sat, 30 May  2009, 05:56

I've read that Bob Kane said that Batman was originally going to wear a black costume, but due to difficulties with the coloring, he had to wear the grey (although there were some comics in the 90's in which he wore a Keaton influenced batsuit).

Besides, a lot of the costumes Batman has worn in the comics, IMO, look a lot better than some of the suits on film (the Sonar suit, the Clooney suits, & the Bale suits).
What I've read from Les Daniels' Batman: The Complete History is:

QuoteFinger suggested that Batman's costume be changed from red to grey. The cowl and cloak remained black, but since comics conventions demand that black objects be highlighted in blue, Batman's uniform in effect became blue and grey.

And at this point, I don't consider any colouring issues an excuse. Nightwing and Catwoman have had all-black costumes for years. It's high time DC took a page from the movies and made Batman black, I say.

And I would honestly take all of the suits you mentioned over the tights. They're that obnoxious to me.

Quote from: zDBZ on Thu,  4 Jun  2009, 22:19
What I've read from Les Daniels' Batman: The Complete History is:

QuoteFinger suggested that Batman's costume be changed from red to grey. The cowl and cloak remained black, but since comics conventions demand that black objects be highlighted in blue, Batman's uniform in effect became blue and grey.

And at this point, I don't consider any colouring issues an excuse. Nightwing and Catwoman have had all-black costumes for years. It's high time DC took a page from the movies and made Batman black, I say.

To be frank, I've always sort of found it odd that later Batman artists didn't color an all black costume for Batman, but since my earliest recollection of Batman is from the comics (the early 90's), the grey & blue/black have grown on me (although, they could use a black costume more often, Keaton-styled).

Quote from: zDBZ on Thu,  4 Jun  2009, 22:19
And I would honestly take all of the suits you mentioned over the tights. They're that obnoxious to me.

It's vice-versa for me, my friend.