Top 5 'Less Liked' Scenes/Moments From Burton's Bat Films

Started by The Dark Knight, Sun, 10 May 2009, 04:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 10 May 2009, 04:57 Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2009, 05:04 by The Dark Knight
The topic title says it all.

List your top 5 'less liked' scenes or moments from Batman (1989) and Batman Returns.

Sun, 10 May 2009, 05:10 #1 Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2009, 05:12 by Dark Knight Detective
Hmmm, there aren't really any scenes that I don't like, but rather, could've been expanded or missing something.

1) I wish that Batman would have roughed up the African-American thug before killing him, because hey, I love seeing Batman kick some rear! ;D Then again, it might seem unrealistic, considering his plane crash.

2) If there's a scene in Returns that I'm not too crazy about, is when the poodle makes that small jump & catches the computerized batarang. Besides, I loved that device, & wished to have seen more of it in action.

3) I wished Gordon had more action in both films.

4) I missed Knox in Returns.

5) To be honest, BDW didn't really catch my eye as Harvey Dent (which is odd, considering how he's usually giving great performances).

Might say more, later on.....

I always wished that after BW put the pieces together and realizes the Joker killed his parents that he would have turned around and had somewhat of a 'moment' starring at the Bat suit in the vault sitting below. It's not a very big deal to me that Vicki walks in right as he finds out, I just wish he could have had more of a Baty moment, if you will.

I thought this site was meant to be a celebration of Burton's Batman films.   ::)

Personally, there aren't many scenes that I genuinely dislike but if I had to change one moment it would be The Joker's descent at the end of 'Batman', the only duff effect in either film.  It's especially frustrating when you compare his fall from the cathedral to Selina Kyle and The Ice Princess' falls in Batman Returns three years later.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sun, 10 May 2009, 10:35 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2009, 10:37 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 10 May  2009, 10:15
I thought this site was meant to be a celebration of Burton's Batman films.   ::)
It is. This thread is just a bit of variety, a spin-off from the Top 5 scenes thread regarding the respective Burton films.

The Dark Knight, what scenes did you dislike or thought could've been expanded?

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 10 May  2009, 14:07
I love both films and can't really think of anything offhand.

I just created the thread to see what others think, really.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 May  2009, 15:55
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 10 May  2009, 14:07
I love both films and can't really think of anything offhand.

I just created the thread to see what others think, really.

Alright then, sir. :)

For me:

Batman
1. Bruce excerising upside down. Clearly he is working out, but the ambiguity of the scene leds many to think he is sleeping like a bat!

Batman Returns
2. Penguin driving the Batmobile - without context or explaination the scene is too campy (though it does have good shots)

3. The odd moments where Keaton "imitates" himself - too much stare and pout - most noticable before zipping across to the building where the Ice Princess is.

4. The moments where Danny Elfman's soundtrack resemble Nightmare before Christmas - only adding a campiness.

5. Baby Oswald grabbing the cat - too much dark humour that removes the sympathy for the character and paints him as a villian from the start - which isn't how he was intended

Sun, 10 May 2009, 16:47 #9 Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2009, 16:50 by Dark Knight Detective
ral, while I may disagree or find some things odd, nothing against you. ;)

Quote from: ral on Sun, 10 May  2009, 16:35
For me:

Batman
1. Bruce excerising upside down. Clearly he is working out, but the ambiguity of the scene leds many to think he is sleeping like a bat!

Don't care what anyone has to say, I love this part, no matter how vague it may seem, as it shows that Batman is in Bruce Wayne even without the suit on!  8)

Batman Returns
2. Penguin driving the Batmobile - without context or explaination the scene is too campy (though it does have good shots)

Campy?  ??? Dunno what you mean by this, but I love it (esp. when Oswald screams in failure, follow by a Bat punch to the screen)! It gives me a thrill inside. :D

3. The odd moments where Keaton "imitates" himself - too much stare and pout - most noticable before zipping across to the building where the Ice Princess is.

Come again?

4. The moments where Danny Elfman's soundtrack resemble Nightmare before Christmas - only adding a campiness.

I think it really adds some thrill to a scene. ;D

5. Baby Oswald grabbing the cat - too much dark humour that removes the sympathy for the character and paints him as a villian from the start - which isn't how he was intended

After being put in a cage by your own parents, it will drive you insane! :o