Best Batman comics

Started by Creature Of The Night, Wed, 6 May 2009, 05:13

Previous topic - Next topic
I want to start reading batman comics which ones are the best to read.

Quote from: Creature Of The Night on Wed,  6 May  2009, 05:13
I want to start reading batman comics which ones are the best to read.

I'd say to start with the pre-Robin Kane/Finger comics, or the Dennis O' Neil/Neal Adams comics.

That and the Returns adaption. Forget the rest.  :D

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  6 May  2009, 15:03
That and the Returns adaption. Forget the rest.  :D

I wouldn't go that far when talking about Forever... although, the art in B&R's comic adaptation sort of "WOW's" me a bit, considering how it sort of showed how the movie should've been like visually.

I'm  real big fan of the Long Halloween and Dark Victory miniseries. They are very cinematic and have a sort of Godfather vibe to them.  Christopher Nolan said they were an inspiration for his films, yet I get more of a Tim Burton vibe off of them.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

In my opinion if you like Keaton's Batman, you gotta check out Frank Miller's work.

Quote from: Batmoney on Wed,  6 May  2009, 20:29
In my opinion if you like Keaton's Batman, you gotta check out Frank Miller's work.

Ah, great opinion! I've always found TDKR to have been one of the stories Burton had in mind while developing Batman Returns.

I go with the minority here, but check out Batman/Dracula Trilogy (three books: "Red Rain", "Bloodstorm", "Nosferatu") by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones. It's elseworlds, but all the Batman basics are here (it's still a Gothic City, Batman still wears the classic outfit and battles crime using technology and a few kicks, Alfred is here, Gordon as well), he simply battles Dracula and turns into a vampire himself, and lots of interesting stuff happens featuring other villains. A very entertaining read with a nice gothic horror vibe and illustrations/plot that you can easily associate with music composed by Danny Elfman (when I read it many years ago I was listening the Batman scores or Sleepy Hollow).

My faves are The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum, Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.