Best Batman comics

Started by Creature Of The Night, Wed, 6 May 2009, 05:13

Previous topic - Next topic
There's a lot for me. To name a few, I love the pre-Robin Finger/Kane comics, the O'Neil/Adams run, most of the graphic novels, the B:TAS comics, & the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle run.

Dark Victory, Haunted Night, Long Halloween and all those that may be tied in, they're very good. I think they are a good read if you enjoy the new Nolan series especially. Still good regardless, but I saw a lot of stuff in TDK that reminded me of those.

Fri, 8 May 2009, 21:12 #12 Last Edit: Fri, 8 May 2009, 21:16 by gordonblu
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  8 May  2009, 03:38
My faves are The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum, Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

I forgot about Year One! For me that is Frank Miller's best. Love David Mazzucchelli's artwork too. I had a harder time getting into the Dark Knight Returns, but I found it to be interesting, and hey if Batman could beats Supes, He can beat anybody from either DC or Marvel hands down!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory can go together fairly well as a trilogy, though the first chain in that link is a bit loose (especially when it comes to Catwoman).

The Killing Joke

Arkham Asylum

Any sort of collection/anthology you can get your hands on, be it Batman of the 40s, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told, Batman: Haunted Knight, Batman by Tim Sale, or the Knightfall collections. With the monthlies often a complete mess to follow (IMO), this is your best bet to find some classic one-shots from yesteryear.

"Identity Crisis" from 1990, by Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle. I know its a unique choice but this story was like reading a Hitchcock book. I loved its mystery and turned the pages as fast as I could. Its still my favorite. The second place belong to "The Killing Joke"

Revised list:

Year One
The Monster Men
Mad Monk
The Man Who Laughs
Long Hallowen/Dark Victory
Haunted Knight
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke

the long halloween/dark victory
batman: the cult (a personal favorite)
batman: gothic
batman: two-face (the BEST harvey story ever written, even beyond long halloween)
batman: the riddler
detective comics no. 27-37 (the genesis)

Some to name:
Batman Knightfall (Knightquest & Knightsend included)
Batman: Strange Apparitions
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Last Arkham
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
The Killing Joke
Birth of the Demon

I'm suprised noone has mentioned Hush in their lists.

It's definitely one of my favourites.

At the moment I am finishing Heart of Hush and will start Englehart's Batman: Dark Detective next.

I forgot to add Arkham Asylum to my revised list!