Best Burton Villain

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 13 Apr 2009, 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best?

The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
The Penguin (Danny DeVito)
Catwoman
Max Shreck
Nicholson was brilliant, but it's a pity he wasn't 15 years younger when he made Batman.  He really looked like the original comic book Joker during the early 70s when he was about 50 pounds lighter.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't think anyone could replicate Nicholson's Joker performance.

Ledger's Joker, on the other hand, has been. Seach youtube or wherever. Hell, try acting out that style of Joker yourself. It's more one dimensional and easier to play.

Nicholson is closer to the Joker of the comics.

A few notes off the top of my head:

Permawhite - check
Clown gadgets - check
Cultured tastes and style appreciation - check

Nicholson did not 'put on' a Joker voice, unlike Ledger. He naturally had a distinctive, authoritive and powerful voice.

He also has the better laugh and laughed more often - check out that laugh after he says "I'm glad you're dead" to Rotelli!

I think what made it seem a bit old are the countless "impersonators" you can see on youtube. Nothing wrong with guys trying to put their fan fiction on video, but I'd prefer they do something their own with the Joker instead of trying to do an impression of Ledger's performance.

As for Jack.. There's no one like Jack.

the joker. selina wasn't a villain, max could've taken out the penguin if he'd really wanted to, and the joker would've had no trouble with max so its the joker all the way.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 30 Sep  2009, 11:37
the joker. selina wasn't a villain, max could've taken out the penguin if he'd really wanted to, and the joker would've had no trouble with max so its the joker all the way.
Sound analysis.  :)

With the gargoyle around his leg, the Joker was stuck in a moment he couldn't get out of. If for some insane reason he did hang on - watch out Gotham!

that scene always makes me cringe because i'm like "oh gah that would have to be horrible to know you're about to fall to your death and theres nothing you can do about it except try in vain to hold on."

i wonder if he prayed while he hung onto that last rung.

I don't think the Joker was the religious type...

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

he might've been when he realized he was about to go splat.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 30 Sep  2009, 03:24
I don't think anyone could replicate Nicholson's Joker performance.

Ledger's Joker, on the other hand, has been. Seach youtube or wherever. Hell, try acting out that style of Joker yourself. It's more one dimensional and easier to play.

Nicholson is closer to the Joker of the comics.

A few notes off the top of my head:

Permawhite - check
Clown gadgets - check
Cultured tastes and style appreciation - check

Nicholson did not 'put on' a Joker voice, unlike Ledger. He naturally had a distinctive, authoritive and powerful voice.

He also has the better laugh and laughed more often - check out that laugh after he says "I'm glad you're dead" to Rotelli!

Agreed!!! I love the laugh you hear in the belfry right after he pulls Batman and Vicki over the edge!