Best Burton Villain

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 13 Apr 2009, 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best?

The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
The Penguin (Danny DeVito)
Catwoman
Max Shreck
Let's see who Batman Movie Online members think is the best Burton villain - Nicholson's Joker or DeVito's Penguin.

I enjoyed Nicholson's performance a great deal, but it's got to be DeVito for me. He became the Penguin, the mannerisms, the lot. Burton and co. took a weak villain and turned him into a serious threat, with a great new backstory.

What about you?

Hey, where's Catwoman (or even Max Shreck) Dark Knight?  :)

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Mon, 13 Apr 2009, 13:40 #2 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Apr 2009, 13:44 by The Dark Knight
Alright...alright...

I wanted to just focus on the two obvious villains, but I've changed it for you.

I'm sorry Dark Knight.  You didn't have to change the poll.  I didn't realise it was your intention to just focus on the Joker and Penguin.

In any case I think I'll give my vote to Nicholson's Joker.  I love Batman Returns but I wouldn't say that Burton's interpretation of The Penguin is my preferred version.  I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes the original comic version (which Burgess Meredith actually did a pretty good job of approximating in the TV series). 

What I will say about Burton's Penguin and Catwoman is that there is a lot of depth and sub-text to both these interpretations which makes Returns such a special film for me.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

DeVito's Penguin is very frustrating for me, because there is a lot of it I like
(victorian suit, penguin body shape, flipper-hands), and a lot of it I don't (long ratty hair, green spittle and black bile, stupid grey jumpsuit), so I have to vote for Jack as the Joker.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I never really understood why people were so put off the black and green bile.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 13 Apr  2009, 14:57
I never really understood why people were so put off the black and green bile.

Penguins don't drool green spittle or spew black bile. they were trying to make him a literal bird man and that aspect doesn't work Maybe if he was raised by komodo dragons...

He has to be 100 percent Penguin does he?

The guy, or thing, is a freak.

I like it. It makes him more alien to us.

you like it. Fine. I DON"T like being called on the carpet every time I give my opinion! This is supposed to be an open forum, and yet I am constantly being jumped on every time I have something negative to say about you beloved Penguin! You have a different opinion, that is wonderful, that's great, but that is your OPINION. Don't go talking as though it is fact!

Now that my rant is done, I apologize for being intense, the opinion/ fact thing is something that has bugged me for a long time and regretfully you just got the brunt of it which isn't fair to you.

You have your opinion. I have mine. This is a forum, we debate things. Simple. Don't lose your cool.