Why was the emblem in '89 different than the poster?

Started by phantom stranger, Fri, 10 Apr 2009, 04:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Joker81 on Tue, 14 Apr  2009, 20:12
I remember Jon Peters saying that the Logo for the poster looked like a mouth, on the special edition dvd. But I didnt think that was the reason the emblem was changed on the suit - he didnt state that did he? And surley by the time that Logo was painted for the poster the movie was pretty much in the can?? Do you not agree?

So the emblem for Keatons suit was created before the 'mouth' logo poster?????

John wasn't on the SE DVD it was his ex partner Peter Guber

Here's the story I was told......

Anton  Furst had a meeting with John Peters about all the disappointing poster ideas that the WB had commissioned by their art department ...so Anton was told to drop everything and design a poster concept which ended up being the Bat logo you see in the movie poster....John saw it and said it looked like an open mouth...now, it wasn't specified, but  I'm assuming that this was before the final costume was finalized( and before the final cowl was finished) because he said that Peters also had a talk with Bob Ringwood about the emblem and  even Ringwood said that it looked like an open mouth to him.....so because this seemed to be an issue it was agreed that the emblem be altered slightly by adding "feet" to the bottom point making it appear to look more like a bat...so I guess it was a combo of Peters AND Ringwood....this was told to me by a guy that worked for Jim Henson's Creature shop back in the 80's who ran the foam for the 89 suits...I can ask for a more specific time line, but this is pretty much what I was told word for word

Quote from: batass4880 on Wed, 15 Apr  2009, 00:30
Hey Reevz666, do you happen to have a picture of the bola gun and/or the grappling hook that was used in the belfry?
I know I have a pic someplace..have to dig( may take a few years to find it  though LOL)...I know that the handle is the same as the spear gun, just the top part is different

Thanks for the response Reevz666, that sounds more reasonable. I thought it was John peters on the dvd I must have got confused.

Well I am glad they altered it, cos I really like that emblem.

Wonder why they had such a hard time with the poster concept, doesnt the bat symbol seem like such an obvious choice??

Mouth???  ;D  ;D  ;D

I always liked this "altered" emblem anyway. It's an iconic element of the film, and I still remember as a kid wondering why it had "these two extra angles" compared to the poster logo.

Does everyone agree that the Batman Returns chest emblem is the most "comic book" looking emblem of ALL Batman movie suits?  ;D

Quote from: silenig on Thu, 16 Apr  2009, 00:47
Does everyone agree that the Batman Returns chest emblem is the most "comic book" looking emblem of ALL Batman movie suits?  ;D

I've said it before & I'll say it again; it's number one! 8)

Quote from: Joker81 on Wed, 15 Apr  2009, 20:19
Thanks for the response Reevz666, that sounds more reasonable. I thought it was John peters on the dvd I must have got confused.

Well I am glad they altered it, cos I really like that emblem.

Wonder why they had such a hard time with the poster concept, doesnt the bat symbol seem like such an obvious choice??

most of the concept poster art was seen on the SE DVD...John Peters wanted something different ..."understated but still have impact" is what Anton was told .....the original teaser didn't even have the name "Batman " on it..it just said June 23

Quote from: Reevz666 on Thu, 16 Apr  2009, 01:14
the original teaser didn't even have the name "Batman " on it..it just said June 23
Yup yup yup.  To this day, that remains the ballsiest poster I've ever seen.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 16 Apr  2009, 08:25
Quote from: Reevz666 on Thu, 16 Apr  2009, 01:14
the original teaser didn't even have the name "Batman " on it..it just said June 23
Yup yup yup.  To this day, that remains the ballsiest poster I've ever seen.

I know what you guys are saying, but lets be honest. You dont need to be Einstien to come up with that poster. Agreed the art work on it is top class, as just a yellow and black poster would be too childish looking, they made it more cinematic.

I was wearing my black t-shirt the other day, just with the yellow and black emblem on it and my 5 year old nephew came in and shouted "BATMAN!!!". So you tell me is it a master stroke on the part of the marketing department? Or a fore gone conclusion that the emblem is 50 years old and anybody whos anybody knows what that stands for???? Even a 5 year old boy who hasnt read a comic or watched a Batman movie, just the cartoon?

So to me it was the obvious choice for the poster.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 12 Apr  2009, 02:27
I'm a massive fan of the yellow emblem. I grew up with it, to me that's how it is and should be.

Same here. The yellow oval for me is like the moon in the night, and Batman is the night and the emblem is his moon. I like the 89 logo too and its cool that its now associated strictly with this movie. The poster is phenomenal and fits now even more since B89 now is a Golden Oldie