Why was the emblem in '89 different than the poster?

Started by phantom stranger, Fri, 10 Apr 2009, 04:43

Previous topic - Next topic
I would've thought that this question had been asked before but a search came up empty.

I always thought it was odd that they changed the emblem for the '89 film yet the movie poster and the Batsignal retained the traditional emblem.

Anyone know the logic behind that?

Fri, 10 Apr 2009, 12:48 #1 Last Edit: Fri, 10 Apr 2009, 15:06 by The Dark Knight
Yep. Love the 89 emblem, but I prefer the traditional Returns design.

Well, I like the emblem for B89, but I prefer the Returns emblem.  ;D
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

I like 'em both (B89 and BR).  As for why the costume emblem is different from the symbol on the poster, I'd guess it's because most people would have at least some understanding of the symbol depicted on the poster, even if the costume designers preferred the costume emblem.  I guess it comes down to recognizability.

I prefer the 89 emblem, its more realistic. The returns one is very childish, even tho it is triditional

Quote from: Joker81 on Fri, 10 Apr  2009, 18:00
The returns one is very childish, even tho it is triditional

Childish.... Okay......

I prefer the Returns emblem b/c not only does it look the closest to the way the traditional one is drawn in the comics (thanks to Neal Adams), but I also find it to look more intimidating (not saying that the BATMAN emblem isn't).

I prefer the 89 emblem, its more realistic.

How do you mean?

Fri, 10 Apr 2009, 21:35 #6 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 17:05 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: phantom stranger on Fri, 10 Apr  2009, 04:43

I always thought it was odd that they changed the emblem for the '89 film yet the movie poster and the Batsignal retained the traditional emblem.

Anyone know the logic behind that?

Well, The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns graphic novels had depictions, that showed Batman's emblem including the extended wing edges.  It is possible that Tim was inspired by these images.

I prefer the 89 emblem, its more realistic. The returns one is very childish, even tho it is triditional
Um....

How is the B89 emblem more 'realistic'?

How is the Returns emblem 'childish'?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 11 Apr  2009, 01:23
Um....

How is the B89 emblem more 'realistic'?

How is the Returns emblem 'childish'?
Yeah, what he said. I believe the logo had been given a much sharper look, compared to the comics. The expetion to me was the two points. They always looked weird to me, like they were only there for copyright purposes. I'd hate to say it's "Cultural Vandalism," but I get that vibe. I was happy it was fixed was Returns. Can anyone do a manip of the Returns logo on the '89 suit?

My only beef with the Returns emblem (odd as it may sound) is how closely it mirrored the comics version.  It felt like someone was trying too hard.  Every inch of the BR suit was sleek and customized.  It was similar to the comic in many respects but different enough to work on film.

But the BR chest emblem looked so... I dunno... illustrated.  It felt too perfect, I guess.  For all the nipples and neon, the BF design team at least made the chest emblem their own.

Don't get me wrong, something this trivial would never make or break the film for me.  I prefer BR as a film hands down, every day and twice on Sundays... but I prefer the B89 emblem.  It feels somehow right.