Lack of respect for Batman Returns?

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 2 Apr 2009, 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic
I was recently looking through the 'making of' books for each of the initial four Batman films (yes, I even own one for Batman & Robin  :P .)  It caught my attention that whilst the Batman & Robin book authored by on-set publicist Michael Singer is 128 pages, the Batman Returns book also by Singer is only a relatively scant 90 pages long.  Say what you like about the film, but the Batman & Robin book is a highly informative and thorough look behind-the-scenes.  I just wish the Batman Returns book (which admittedly contains several excellent photos and interviews) received the same treatment.

I don't think this was an intentional snub by Warner Bros, since the merchandise for Returns was released months before the film was at the receiving end of its backlash.  Nevertheless, it got me thinking whether Warners will release a 20th Anniversary book for Returns' Blue-Ray release in 2012, since it is often regarded as the 'black sheep' of the Batman film 'family'.

In fact, if I was to categorise the Batman movies as respective members of a family this is how I would describe them:
Batman - the older, favourite son who paved the way for his siblings.
Batman Returns - the gothic 'black sheep' of the family whose parents are too ashamed to talk about (kind of like The Penguin in fact).
Batman Forever - the bland, easy-to-please jock of the family.  Not especially remarkable, but a safe 'C+' student.
Batman & Robin - the embarrassing, intellectually challenged younger brother (c. Buster in Arrested Development) who convinced his parents to stop conceiving at four.

I also liken the new Batman franchise to a parent (Warner Bros) leaving his former partner for someone new (Nolan) and hereby ignoring their first family's kids and effectively sweeping their existence under the carpet.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Thu, 2 Apr 2009, 21:35 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 2 Apr 2009, 21:57 by Dark Knight Detective
There's already a topic covering this (titled "Batman Returns underrated").

Sorry Dark Knight Detective.  I think I started contributing to the forum a little while after that thread ended.  Thanks for pointing it out for me though; I'll read through it in a moment.
Nevertheless, I was specifically interested in any thoughts on whether Warner Bros. would issue a 20th Anniversary book with the BR Blue-Ray, and whether they had specifically undervalued the film.

^ Hey, it's cool (it doesn't offend me at all), just trying to help out. ;)

I shouldn't be posting in here, should be using the original thread, but I have to say....people who like the Batman character and don't like Batman Returns are insane.

Fri, 3 Apr 2009, 12:30 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 3 Apr 2009, 19:33 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  3 Apr  2009, 12:23
I shouldn't be posting in here, should be using the original thread, but I have to say....people who like the Batman character and don't like Batman Returns are insane.

Spot on, man. This is indeed a post of brilliance (as it really does irritate the heck out of me when people bash it when they're so-called Batman fans). Thanks! 8)

Unfortunately, that makes a lot of people insane. :-\
Personally, I couldn't praise Burton's Batman films enough.  Although I marginally prefer Batman '89 as a piece of storytelling, I have a massive fondness for Batman Returns which is arguably deeper and more facinating than its predecessor.

When it comes to people that dislike or outright hate Returns, we can pretty much see where they are coming from. We have to admit it's not a film for all tastes.

Quote from: silenig on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 07:40
When it comes to people that dislike or outright hate Returns, we can pretty much see where they are coming from. We have to admit it's not a film for all tastes.
Mmm, yes and no.  There's really nothing in Returns that you couldn't reasonably extrapolate from the comics, except maybe for Penguin's mouth.  And if THAT ruins the entire movie for you, I question your fandom.

People are free to love or to hate the tone of the film or the narrative or something but in terms of resonance with the comics, by now that should no longer be in question.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 20:44
Quote from: silenig on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 07:40
Mmm, yes and no.  There's really nothing in Returns that you couldn't reasonably extrapolate from the comics, except maybe for Penguin's mouth.  And if THAT ruins the entire movie for you, I question your fandom.

People are free to love or to hate the tone of the film or the narrative or something but in terms of resonance with the comics, by now that should no longer be in question.

I think people stay on the surface and how the film looks and feels, this is what I mean when I say "It's easy to see" and "not for all tastes". It's not easy to "sell" to the average fan. I'm one of those that embrace its aesthetics, including the "Penguin's mouth", considering his deformed and "pathetic" nature.

This in-depth article, citing several references and images from the comics themselves, makes a lot of things clear, but the film's aesthetics will still be not easy for them (and this is regrettable).