Batman and Robin...a Review?

Started by Gotham Knight, Sat, 5 Jan 2008, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 15:27You really need to learn the meaning of an opinion. Considering it wasn't only a bad film, but it put a franchise to death and even raised a question in the future of comic book films as a genre, I feel it is my right to consider this the worst studio blunder ever hatched.

You made a thread so we can discuss your review, and that's what we're doing. It's all your opinion, sure. But if you're going to make a bold statement about B&R being the worst movie produced by a studio, I'll again state (and this is of course my opinion):

You really need a more comprehensive collection of films under your viewing belt.
The B89 photos you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Quote from: Darth Vader on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 17:50
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 15:27You really need to learn the meaning of an opinion. Considering it wasn't only a bad film, but it put a franchise to death and even raised a question in the future of comic book films as a genre, I feel it is my right to consider this the worst studio blunder ever hatched.

You made a thread so we can discuss your review, and that's what we're doing. It's all your opinion, sure. But if you're going to make a bold statement about B&R being the worst movie produced by a studio, I'll again state (and this is of course my opinion):

You really need a more comprehensive collection of films under your viewing belt.

I do, thank you very much. And though the films like those Buster Keaton made for MGN paired with Jimmy Durante, Shock Treatment the ill-fated sequel to Rocky Horror, every subsequent sequel to Dirty Harry, the massive flops that are Cleopatra and Water World, and Ishstar-(Dustin Hoffman) are all contenders, I feel that Batman and Robin is the worst. Perhaps what I?m saying you don?t need to make the bold assumptions that I really need a more comprehensive collection of films under my viewing belt. Considering other than my fandom of the Batman, you no nothing about me, it seems to me that you wouldn?t make such an assumption. If you want to discuss my review and disagree that the B&R is the worst, then please do so, but don?t insult me.

Perhaps instead of that, you should have asked me why I think so if the review seemed incomplete for you, rather than trying to shoot what I said down, or better yet name a few films you think are the worst. I notice you didn?t counter with any examples.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 19:28
better yet name a few films you think are the worst. I notice you didn?t counter with any examples.

Catwoman :D

On the topic of things that were good with B&R, I agree that the scene with Freeze carving the sculpture was one of the best villain scenes ever. Arnold did a great job of showing his pain and loss with just that one scene, not saying a word.

The scenes between Bruce and Alfred were very well done an touching. It showed the strong bond that the 2 of them have. The surrogate father as it were. "I love you, old man." It was a great scene.

The conflict between Batman and Robin was done well. Especially with the added tension caused by Ivy. However, my favorite part was towards the end when Bruce gives his last plea to Dick to listen to him and to help him. "Im asking you, friend, partner,...brother." That was good.

I also liked the redemption speech that Batman gave to Freeze when he was defeated. "...anyone can take a life, but to give life..."

Clooneys Batman did have alot of compassion and hope.

Seems my little comment ... no lets call it more of an OPINION... sparked a bit of debate!!!

I'm probably talking to a brick wall when it comes to this site (considering its purpose its not surprising)...

But i find it important to recognize and appreciate all aspects of batman in all forms of media!!!

Trust me, i am a HUGE,HUGE Burton/batman fan so i love his two movies but we need to realize there is more than just those and they weren't entirely perfect in capturing batman.

The 60's batman, for e.g. is just as important and valid in his legacy as anything else!!!

I'll miss you dad xx

Not at all. And now that you put that way I agree with that statement. I just took offense to being insulted by Vader in regards to my opinion of this film

Eye of the beholder, my friend - remember that!!

Read a few 50/60's batman comics and see a faithful adaption. Heck the 60's show even pulled back (i.e. no space aliens)

Sorry to be the one to start such a heated debate but things like this really annoy me. Trust me it was because of Adam West etc. that Batman seeped into the nation's psychosis!!

I'll miss you dad xx

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 22:48
Not at all. And now that you put that way I agree with that statement. I just took offense to being insulted by Vader in regards to my opinion of this film

I didn't realize how sensitive you were when I made my comment.  ::)

Hmm. A pretty bad movie has already been cited... Catwoman. Watch: Home Town Story starring Marilyn Monroe. That's one of the most pointless-ass and dull movies I've ever watched.

Quote from: Homer Bat on Mon,  7 Jan  2008, 21:58
I'm probably talking to a brick wall when it comes to this site (considering its purpose its not surprising)...

But i find it important to recognize and appreciate all aspects of batman in all forms of media!!!

This site is focused towards Burton's Batman movies - always has been.  There are a tonne of sites that give Batman in all forms of media.  This is not to say this site discounts other forms of Batman, that's what the forum is for.  I wouldn't call myself a brick wall. :)

Quote from: Darth Vader on Tue,  8 Jan  2008, 07:42

I didn't realize how sensitive you were when I made my comment.  ::)

Hmm. A pretty bad movie has already been cited... Catwoman.

Yes, they were cited but not by you, who made the comment, who by claiming that I didn't have enough under by belt was obligated to prove you did, thus backing your own statements up, instead of making unsubstantiated remarks.

Quote from: Darth Vader on Tue,  8 Jan  2008, 07:42Watch: Home Town Story starring Marilyn Monroe. That's one of the most pointless-ass and dull movies I've ever watched.

You still don't understand that throwing other bad movies at me to watch may still not change my opinion, which is the whole point. Me having a different opinion than you does not mean I am somehow less familiar with other films. In stating what you did you tried to solidify your opinion as fact and that was a poor thing to do. If this was not your intention, you should choose your words more cafefully.

...  ::)