Favorite Batman artist

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Sat, 14 Mar 2009, 03:20

Previous topic - Next topic

There's obviously more artists to name, but this is just a list of 10 various artists from different runs/periods of Batman.

Bob Kane
1 (4.8%)
Dick Sprang
2 (9.5%)
Carmine Infantino
0 (0%)
Neal Adams
5 (23.8%)
Marshall Rogers
0 (0%)
Jim Aparo
4 (19%)
Frank Miller
2 (9.5%)
Norm Breyfogle
4 (19%)
Kelley Jones
1 (4.8%)
Jim Lee
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Sat, 14 Mar 2009, 03:20 Last Edit: Sat, 14 Mar 2009, 03:39 by Dark Knight Detective
Feel free to add in more artists. ;)

Sat, 14 Mar 2009, 03:43 #1 Last Edit: Sun, 15 Mar 2009, 02:32 by batass4880
My favorite is Jim Aparo but I also love Bob Kane, Frank Miller, Klaus Janson and Norm Breyfogle's work.

After long and painful deliberation, I had to select Breyfogle.  His big competition was Kelly Jones.  Jones' work is far more atmospheric and Burton'ish in my mind but ultimately Breyfogle's art has really meant a lot to me over the years.  When I think of Batman in the comics, his version is what pops to mind.

Ranked in order of awesomeness...

1. Jim Aparo
2. Marshall Rogers
3. Graham Nolan
4. Bob Kane
5. Kelley Jones
6. Norm Breyfogle
7. Bruce Timm
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Tim Sale is my favourite Batman artist. The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Haunted Knight are all at the top for me.

I love Neal Adams' style as a very "classic" look. I'm also a big fan of some excellent IMO work he did for Savage Sword of Conan. I also love Jim Aparo's. As others said, Kelley Jones' "weird" take is my favorite, the most Burtonesque (he even drew spirals in the cape, if I remember right). The Vampire trilogy is one of my top-10 Batman stories, "elseworlds" or not.. I also like the artwork from Batman: Gothic, who did that? Alcatena?

Brian Bolland who did The Killing Joke IMO created some of the best incarnations of all the characters that appeared in that story (I'm not familiar with the rest of his work,  :( any recommendations?). Very gritty and realistic... the colours, the small panels... simply fantastic, that comic didn't look like a superhero comic ;)

There's more styles I loved in several comics, by I'm not familiar with names.

What a hard question!
From this list, mines are:
1 - Jim Lee
2 - Neal Adams
3 - Jim Aparo
4 - Dick Sprang
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Brian Bolland. He draws my favorite Joker!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Frank Miller and Jim Lee are my favorites, but everyone on that list is pretty darn good.

Odds are none of you need any convincing about the brilliance of Marshall Rogers but he should get some love in this thread.  To me, it says a lot that he drew so little Batman and yet is so fondly and lovingly remembered.  If he'd stuck with the character longer, I bet he'd rival Jim Aparo in terms of overall legacy.  I'm grateful for what we did get, dont' get me wrong, I just wonder how many more Batman stories he had inside of him.

When you look back on the character's history, it's easy to see that Batman has some really unbelievably talented artists in his legacy... maybe a better, more impressive line of artists than any other character.