Schumacher's Scarecrow

Started by Sandman, Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would YOU have liked to see play Scarecrow if BT had been made?

Jeff Goldblum
7 (31.8%)
Steve Buscemi
2 (9.1%)
Brad Dourif
2 (9.1%)
Howard Stern
0 (0%)
Christopher Lloyd
5 (22.7%)
Bruce Spence
1 (4.5%)
Tim Robbins
2 (9.1%)
Marilyn Manson
0 (0%)
John Malkovich
2 (9.1%)
Crispin Glover
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 00:51 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 21:57 by Sandman
I made the list out of names i have read were up for the role back in 99 or were suggested by fan's alot.

If you have any more tell me so i can add them ;)

Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 01:03 #1 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 01:10 by Dark Knight Detective
First off, let me get this off of my chest.

After my huge disappointment w/ B & R back in 1997, I thought that the idea of it having a sequel was just plain stupid. Seriously, a film that was supposed to have a Returns tone, but at the same time, it would be the sequel to an atrocity. What two words come to mind: epic failure.

But had it been in the works, I choose Mr. Llyod as the Scarecrow b/c of his roles in Back to the Future & Who Framed Roger Rabbit. All he would've had to have done was add the professor persona w/ the scary persona, & we would have a suitable Scarecrow.

A preceding film has no bearing on the current film. That's the kind of thinking that leads to needless restarts.

Who gives a damn about what's in-continuity as long as the film you're currently watching is good?
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Christopher Lloyd would've been perfect and John Malkovich probably would've kicked ass.

I never liked the Scarecrow they're using in the current series. That role belongs to actors who are great at being odd, weird and creepy. Not pretty boys.

Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 02:33 #4 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 03:33 by Dark Knight Detective
Crispin Glover would make an excellent Scarecrow.

Quote from: batass4880 on Fri, 13 Mar  2009, 02:31
I never liked the Scarecrow they're using in the current series. That role belongs to actors who are great at being odd, weird and creepy. Not pretty boys.

I've read that while Murphy was in a Batman audition for Begins, Chris Nolan looked at his eyes & thought that he'd be perfect for Scarecrow.

Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 02:47 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 02:49 by batass4880
^ That's weird because he looks like the guy who plays Superman in Smallville.

Looking back there were only two realistic possibilities:

1) Schumacher picks an actor that is perfect for the role (e.g. Uma Thurman for Poison Ivy) but the role is poorly written

2) Schumacher picks an actor that is awful for the role (e.g. Arnie for Mr. Freeze) but the role is...well, poorly written.

QuoteThat role belongs to actors who are great at being odd, weird and creepy. Not pretty boys.
Pretty much that's the one gripe I've got against Murphy.  I always thought Crane should became the Scarecrow as much as anything because of his looks.  If he's just a fugly dude, well, that would make him a target for the richer, more beautiful kids who always made his life miserable.

Murphy didn't exactly have that going for him.

Appearances aside, I thought Murphy did the role proud.

Quote^ That's weird because he looks like the guy who plays Superman in Smallville.
Can't say as I see the similarity, myself.

Quote1) Schumacher picks an actor that is perfect for the role (e.g. Uma Thurman for Poison Ivy) but the role is poorly written
And we come to it at least.  I just never saw it.  Don't understand why peeps think Thurman rocked as Ivy.  I thought Ivy should have two sides to her- the sexpot and the amoral killer.  The B&R script definitely supports that interpretation and I suspect the direction could've allowed for it.  Thurman, an otherwise fine (in more ways than one) actress, just didn't see those layers in the character.  Even Ahnuld brought a sense of humanity to Freeze, recoginizing that Fries is a dude who does things that would violate his conscience (if he still had one) in pursuit of a larger agenda to save his wife.  The governor brought as much of that as I suspect Shlockmaker allowed him.

So what's Thurman's excuse?

Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 03:10 #8 Last Edit: Fri, 13 Mar 2009, 03:15 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 13 Mar  2009, 02:58
Quote1) Schumacher picks an actor that is perfect for the role (e.g. Uma Thurman for Poison Ivy) but the role is poorly written
And we come to it at least.  I just never saw it.  Don't understand why peeps think Thurman rocked as Ivy.  I thought Ivy should have two sides to her- the sexpot and the amoral killer.  The B&R script definitely supports that interpretation and I suspect the direction could've allowed for it.  Thurman, an otherwise fine (in more ways than one) actress, just didn't see those layers in the character.  Even Ahnuld brought a sense of humanity to Freeze, recoginizing that Fries is a dude who does things that would violate his conscience (if he still had one) in pursuit of a larger agenda to save his wife.  The governor brought as much of that as I suspect Shlockmaker allowed him.

So what's Thurman's excuse?

Exactly. It seemed like she always forgot her lines. You could tell when she takes a long pause to finish a sentence, or just by telling by looking in her eyes, as they don't look focused.

I think she recognized that the script sucked, so she just decided to overact.

@ thecolorsblend

I don't know any Batman fans that think she rocked in the role. I remember a number of movie critics saying stuff like "Uma steals the show" or "Uma is the only good thing about B & R". Made me wonder if I saw the same movie they were talking about.