Anthology revelations

Started by batass4880, Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 02:39

Previous topic - Next topic
PS, couldn't agree more.  What really surprised me was the muck-raking that went on somewhat.  Sean Young's Catwoman incident(s), the static between Schumacher and Kilmer, etc.  DVD special features long ago came under the purview of The Almighty Legal Dept so I've come to expect "shiny, happy extras" which won't result in anyone getting sued rather than, as Paul Harvey would've had it, "the rest of the story", as it was with laserdisc and when DVD was still sort of under the radar a little bit.

Overall, an awesome set, even if you're like me and dislike the Shlockmaker movies.

Not exactly a surprise but Shumacher and his producer pretty much admitting that B&R was almost strictly intended to sell toys was interesting to hear.

Also, I had no idea Tim Burton was interested in making the third movie. Up until then I just assumed that he just wasn't interested in doing it.

That depressed, me, honestly. Without the negative experience he had on the first film, BR was a lot of fun for him, no doubt. It's no wonder that he would have liked to do a third, without Jon Peters looking over his shoulder.

Only a fan of Batman would leap at the chance to go through it all again. Tim really loves the character. Personally, I would have wanted WB to ask for a little bit more fidelity to the modern comics to shut up the complainers (maybe just a little extra input from Bob Kane or Janette Kahn), but other than that, imagine what we could have had.

Denise DiNovi's comments were more depressing. She said "Tim could have gone on and on and we could have had all of these wonderful Batman movies..." Amen, sister! Can you just imagine? Tim Burton giving us the Scarecrow? Not only would he have been in the full costume, but it would have been something right out of Sleepy Hollow.

I'm picturing the Furst Batmobile blasting through the forests outside of the Batcave, chasing the Scarecrow on horseback, who looks like an actual scarecrow, carrying Julie Madison (or whatever love interest Burton might have used) tied to the horse, the sequence set in the middle of the night, with an appropriate Elfman piece backing it up, something like an expanded reprisal of "Descent into Mystery."
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

^ I like that image Doc! :D

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 11 Mar  2009, 17:48
That depressed, me, honestly. Without the negative experience he had on the first film, BR was a lot of fun for him, no doubt. It's no wonder that he would have liked to do a third, without Jon Peters looking over his shoulder.

Only a fan of Batman would leap at the chance to go through it all again. Tim really loves the character. Personally, I would have wanted WB to ask for a little bit more fidelity to the modern comics to shut up the complainers (maybe just a little extra input from Bob Kane or Janette Kahn), but other than that, imagine what we could have had.

Denise DiNovi's comments were more depressing. She said "Tim could have gone on and on and we could have had all of these wonderful Batman movies..." Amen, sister! Can you just imagine? Tim Burton giving us the Scarecrow? Not only would he have been in the full costume, but it would have been something right out of Sleepy Hollow.

I'm picturing the Furst Batmobile blasting through the forests outside of the Batcave, chasing the Scarecrow on horseback, who looks like an actual scarecrow, carrying Julie Madison (or whatever love interest Burton might have used) tied to the horse, the sequence set in the middle of the night, with an appropriate Elfman piece backing it up, something like an expanded reprisal of "Descent into Mystery."

True in what your saying. And also if Burton was left alone no doubt Michael Keaton would have continued as Batman and maybe, just maybe Michelle Phieffer back as catwoman. I feel the Bruce/batman/Seliena/Catwoman story was left without closure!

DocLathropBrown, your vision of a third Batman film was fantastic.  The image of The Scarecrow with a captive Julie Madison, thundering through the forests featured in the first film with Batman in hot pursuit is extremely cinematic.
It only Burton could have stayed to handle other classic villains like The Scarecrow.  I would also have loved to see what he would have done with Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 20:00 #16 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 20:02 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: Joker81 on Wed, 11 Mar  2009, 19:42
... if Burton was left alone no doubt Michael Keaton would have continued as Batman...

True, but then we would have a big issue: who would've had the spirit to direct a fantastic Batman film like Burton did?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 11 Mar  2009, 19:59

I would also have loved to see what he would have done with Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy.

Burton had the power to make just about every Batman rogue fit into a film of his, w/o a doubt.

Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 20:17 #17 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 20:19 by DocLathropBrown
I'll tell you one thing, as much as I love Arnold Schwarzenegger's comedic Mr. Freeze, Bruton's would have been Oscar-worthy. Think of it, the character is right up Burton's alley. He would have cast the right actor, first of all, and second, really used the Paul Dini origin to great, tragic effect. Complete with a more subtle, intimidating visual style, I'll bet.

Batman as a franchise in general is just perfectly suited to Burton's sensibilities. More than any other comic book, it's a story about freaks terrorizing a city, and the one freak (who appears normal) who keeps them all in line. Burton was born for Batman.

EDIT: Anyway, back on topic: this thread is supposed to be about the revelations you had from the Anthology special features!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 20:19 #18 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Mar 2009, 21:13 by batass4880
Another thing I didn't know until I got the DVD's was that Burton had been working on the project since 1985. I always thought he was hired right after he made Beetlejuice.

Yeah, and his 1985 script treatment with Julie Hicks is surprisingly faithful to the Batman comic book lore. Which surprised even me. What it changes will kind of make your head itch, but what it includes is a surprising amount of little details. I only know of it from the Wizard review from '92, where they lambast it, and they're completely in the wrong. Burton inlcudes Gordon comforting a young Burce Wayne right after the murder (sound familiar?), and Thomas Wayne going to a party in a bat costume that would later subconsciously inspire Bruce (this is from a 40s/50s Batman story!), and the treatment also details Bruce's training to become Batman!

What amazed me about the special features was just HOW MUCH input Bob Kane and DC Comics had in making the film. Honestly, I knew of some comic influences, but like others, I bought into the "hardly accurate" and "It's Tim Burton's version of Batman" bull that's been on the 'net for years. But the SE features showed me just HOW hard Burton worked to make something representative of the best aspects of the legacy up to that time. It makes his continued unfounded scrutiny among fanboys maddening.