Videos promoting Batman Returns...

Started by Grissom, Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Check out these two videos I stumbled upon with an emphasis on Keaton just before Batman Returns premiered in theatres in '92.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhcv3H-yKzc&feature=related

Wonderful clips! Thanks!  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

I really do love that man.

Michael Keaton = best celebrity alive.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Wow! Great, weird stuff!
The beginning of the interview felt a little "off", because of Michael Keaton explaining how "stupid" this all is, but that's probably up to how everyone interprets that sentence.
Surely, it wasn't meant in a derogatory way towards Batman.

The Sean Young stuff was especially interesting. Why can't WB just include these type of clips on the Blu-Rays? I don't care if they're standard definition, the huge media attention Batman and Batman Returns got deserve individual documentaries respectively.

Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 21:06 #4 Last Edit: Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 21:09 by Dark Knight Detective
Thanks for posting this, Grissom. I had not seen it for quite sometime. Brought back memories.

It was amazing to see Keaton talk about his ups & downs in Hollywood. The man is just talented & he never leaves you bored. Definitely one of the best actors ever, & the best live action Batman as well. 8)

I swear to remember seeing at least some of this when it was first broadcast.  I mostly only watched for the BR clips.  My 12-year old self didn't really care all that much about Keaton's horseback riding or what have you.  But now I think it's unspeakably cool.

Things change.

As for Sean Young... man, she's NEVER gonna live that one down, is she?  Yowza...

Quote from: Batman on Thu,  5 Mar  2009, 20:50
Wow! Great, weird stuff!
The beginning of the interview felt a little "off", because of Michael Keaton explaining how "stupid" this all is, but that's probably up to how everyone interprets that sentence.
Surely, it wasn't meant in a derogatory way towards Batman.

The very nature of the Batman character is a tad silly, anyone should realize that. That's one of the reasons that comedy Batman works so well, because the character is just absurd enough.

So Keaton didn't necessarily mean it in a derogatory way, but he was speaking about the concept of Batman, running around beating up people in a strange costume.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 23:26 #7 Last Edit: Fri, 6 Mar 2009, 00:06 by Dark Knight Detective
I think it all depends on how the suit looks. The suits worn by Keaton were intimidating, whereas the 60's costume, Sonar suit, B&R suits, & the B&R serial suit were just downright silly.

It doesn't matter how the costume looks - the very idea is silly. One reason why the Nolan movies are a tad rediculous with trying to be so "realistic" is because any vigilante in real life would just wear a ski mask or something. Not something as elaborate as Batman does.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Thu,  5 Mar  2009, 23:17The very nature of the Batman character is a tad silly, anyone should realize that. That's one of the reasons that comedy Batman works so well, because the character is just absurd enough.

So Keaton didn't necessarily mean it in a derogatory way, but he was speaking about the concept of Batman, running around beating up people in a strange costume.
I guess this says a lot about the subjectivity of words because to me all he meant was that, when you come right down to it, Batman is no more or less absurd than any other movie role in the sense that they're equally fictitious. So why does a recovering coke addict somehow carry greater cachet than Batman???