My Review of BATMAN 89 :Warning I'm a Major Burton Bat Fan:

Started by Gotham Knight, Wed, 2 Jan 2008, 21:54

Previous topic - Next topic
1989 was called the Year of the Bat, and not without good reason. That year, and every year since then, whenever superhero films are made, BATMAN always comes up, whether in positive or negative light. Comparisons are always made. That alone proves its staying power, and how it will forever be the film that made the Superhero franchise a permanent establishment, love it or hate it.

In 1978, Richard Donner's SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE took audiences by storm. Backed by screen legends Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve made us believe a man could fly, and could do so without making it a completely laughable experience. While it did have its moments, and in recent years it's easy to place a date on the film, it proved the concept of masked and/or costumed men could be done, and done well. Of course, it also proved how quickly things could turn ugly, on and off screen. The producers, not wanting to deal with the monetary demands of Brando, cut him out of the sequel, to which all of his footage had been shot during the first film's production, and fired Donner, replacing much of the second film he had already shot. SUPERMAN II, while staying afloat as a good film, didn't carry the gravity of its predecessor. A blockbuster hit, it managed to spawn two more sequels.

SUPERMAN III and IV were disastrous to say the least, and in the late 80's a comic book film would be risky, it would be a big chance.

Remember, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE proved it could be done.

BATMAN took the next pivotal step. It set a tone, and standard that would influence all major success (00-present) in the genre in this reviewers opinion

The review: From the word go, this movie is different. It quickly breaks the formula of following the hero around and watching his every step. Instead, the view must see him through the eyes of those both in terror and in awe of his sinister presence in the alleys.

It has always been standard that the hero be tracked throughout the entire film in thematic action adventures, cutting back and forth to a villain, whose scheming and over the top manner garners him the bulk of the audiences desired attention. Because one becomes so desensitized to the hero, the point of thrills and chills becomes the villain who dances in and out of the picture, commanding the scenes shared with the hero, always making a bigger and better entrance. BATMAN completely flips that coin. In the film, you follow Jack Napier in his plight into madness, all the while cutting back to the melancholy mansion of Bruce Wayne as Vicki Vale attempts to break into the locked and withdrawn places of his mind. The viewer cannot help but be more intrigued by this obviously traumatized and imperfect man. As if in Vicki's shoes the viewer asks of him:

Who are you?

Why won't you let me in?

And most importantly:

Why are you the way you are?

Oh and did I mention, there's a six foot bat in Gotham City! Where the flip of the character roles comes to true "actiony" fruition. You never even know when or where the Batman will make a grand entrance ("Wonderful Toys"), completely controlling the scene once he enters, even if only for a few brief moments.. HE is the point of FEAR, enveloping the viewer in the experience.

The flipping of roles does well with the personalities of the two title characters, Bruce Wayne/Batman and The Joker. The Joker wants to be seen, and tries to take up as much screen time as possible, meanwhile The Batman represses himself, not wishing to be seen, rising up only to cast a shadow onto the heart of evil.

The film triumphs again in capturing the depression era from which the Batman was spawned, and meshes with modern day, making it impossible to discern when or where it truly takes place, our past, or the not too distant future of an alternate reality. The 40's gangster clothes and clunky, yet human form of the Batman costume achieve a timeless journey into Gotham City.

The key to this film is that it isn't designed like a garden-variety film. Much like the distant films of the past, it commands more of you. You have to pay attention to finer details as the story progresses, unlike Batman Begins, this film won't hand you a characters personality on a silver platter, you have to watch each step a character makes, and much is left open for your mind to interpret. In the end, it's up to you who the Batman is. Is he a dangerous psychotic? Is he a hero? Is he a brutal vigilante?

Great review.

You raised an interesting point, about the movie itself being a metaphor for the the characters themselves, and it fits perfectly.
QuoteThe Joker wants to be seen, and tries to take up as much screen time as possible, meanwhile The Batman represses himself, not wishing to be seen, rising up only to cast a shadow onto the heart of evil.

I think Burton may have touched on this in the past too.

Nice read. I agree that Batman changed the way people see superhero movies and set a standard.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll post my feelings about Returns shortly, my favorite Bat film.