The Batman movies as Newspaper "give-aways"

Started by Azrael, Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:12 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:14 by silenig
Starting today (22/2) and for the following 5 weeks, a newspaper will give away the 3 Batman movies (okay, I mean FIVE).

The editions they give are nothing remarkable, just the regular DVDs Warner put out in 1997 (?), today B A T M A N was the one  with the production notes. They give Returns in one week. I like the slim DVD case that comes with it, as well as the fact that they finally promote the movies in this, popular in my country, way.

What I loved is the extensive article they did last week on all the films as well as the character himself, with a pro-Burton and pro-Nolan stance (yeah, there are journalists who like BOTH VERSIONS)

Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:16 #1 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:19 by The Batman Returns
Out of curiosity, what language is that? Are you a native of the country w/ that language (I'm just curious)?

Anyway, what's the whole point of them doing that? Why not release the Blu Ray Anthology?

Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:20 #2 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:24 by silenig

And in case you wonder, and unlike Italy or Germany, we are lucky and movies are NEVER dubbed here.

The point is that it's been 4 years that newspapers here started giving away DVDs (usually bare-bones). With the advent of Blue-ray, the DVDs are already treated like the circlular tray you put your glass on (can't remember how it's called in english), and they give them on newspapers.

Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:25 #3 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:33 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:20

And in case you wonder, and unlike Italy or Germany, we are lucky and movies are NEVER dubbed here.

Ah, Greece.

I guess you're able to see Godzilla movies w/ their original Japanese actors/actresses actually talking instead of voice overs.

Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:20
The point is that it's been 4 years that newspapers here started giving away DVDs (usually bare-bones). With the advent of Blue-ray, the DVDs are already treated like the circlular tray you put your glass on (can't remember how it's called in english), and they give them on newspapers.

They're called "glass trays". The advertisement should say "Can I persuade you to accept an old DVD & add it into your collection, sir?"

Oh, Asian films have always had a strong fanbase in their original language. Most absolutely DISLIKE American re-dubs or re-makes of Japanese, Korean or Mandarin originals (except when we talk about hilarious out of sync dubbing for 70s films).

Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:35 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 23:38 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:28
Oh, Asian films have always had a strong fanbase in their original language. Most absolutely DISLIKE American re-dubs or re-makes of Japanese, Korean or Mandarin originals (except when we talk about hilarious out of sync dubbing for 70s films).

I see nothing wrong w/ certain re-dubs (like in anime for ex.) If anything, the re-dubs might turn out to be better than the original cast.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:25

They're called "glass trays". The advertisement should say "Can I persuade you to accept an old DVD & add it into your collection, sir?"

The target group for these DVDs are those who call Dolby, Dubli.  :)

Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:40
Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:25

The target group for these DVDs are those who call Dolby, Dubli.  :)

Did you catch my joke? :)

I did, you didn't catch mine  ;) (from Spinal Tap)

Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 23:45
I did, you didn't catch mine  ;) (from Spinal Tap)

Exactly. What's Spinal Tap? Is that a movie or something?