Burton Batman Homages

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 02:26 Last Edit: Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 05:16 by The Dark Knight
You folks would have seen this, but here it is anyway.

This is not the original Batman89 trailer (of course), it's just edited to match TDK version.

This proves without doubt that Nolan copied shots from Burton, or was influenced by them.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 17 Feb  2009, 02:26This is not the original Batman89 trailer (of course), it's just edited to match TDK version.
I think I've seen that that same B89 comp as a standalone video set to the audio from TDK's trailer.  I thought it was incredibly well done.

QuoteThis proves without doubt that Nolan copied shots from Burton, or was influenced by them.
I mean this in the nicest way but I think it proves no such thing.  The films have similar elements to be sure but you could probably cobble together footage from BF set to TDK's trailer audio and come up with something similarly "copied".  For that matter, you could probably do the same thing for most of Steel Magnolias.  Doing so wouldn't mean TDK is a derivative work.

I will say, though, that I think B89 was for more effective at setting Batman up as an agent of Order in Gotham City with Joker being an agent of Chaos/Disorder.

Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 04:17 #2 Last Edit: Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 04:41 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 17 Feb  2009, 03:29
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 17 Feb  2009, 02:26This is not the original Batman89 trailer (of course), it's just edited to match TDK version.
I think I've seen that that same B89 comp as a standalone video set to the audio from TDK's trailer.  I thought it was incredibly well done.

QuoteThis proves without doubt that Nolan copied shots from Burton, or was influenced by them.
I mean this in the nicest way but I think it proves no such thing.  The films have similar elements to be sure but you could probably cobble together footage from BF set to TDK's trailer audio and come up with something similarly "copied".  For that matter, you could probably do the same thing for most of Steel Magnolias.  Doing so wouldn't mean TDK is a derivative work.

I will say, though, that I think B89 was for more effective at setting Batman up as an agent of Order in Gotham City with Joker being an agent of Chaos/Disorder.

Well, I've read some articles about Nolan saying that he enjoyed Burton's films, so it could be a possibility that he was paying tribute to both B89 & Returns while directing certain scenes (that gliding scene in TDK is similar to the one in BR, for ex.).

However, Nolan's tributes are cool. They're not like Superman Returns, which seemed to be copying a lot of things from the first & second films rather than paying tribute. Is that a reason why you dislike it so much, Thecolorsblend?

Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 05:14 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 05:58 by The Dark Knight
I?ve decided to make this a thread for similar Batman89 and Returns moments in the other Batman films.

Here?s a few from me.

Bruce pushing the large doors open to Ra?s building in Begins - similar to Batman pushing the Cathedral doors open.

Here's some obvious ones from TDK: Joker falling from a high building, ?Hit me? confrontation and Joker meeting the mob.

If anyone finds others, just post them here.

Here's two:

BATMAN to Batman Begins: Batman & Rachel riding in the Tumbler on the way to the batcave is similar to one Keaton's Batman & Vicki Vale had back in 89.

Batman Returns to The Dark Knight: Bale Batman's bittersweet victory is similar to the one Keaton's Batman had back in 92.

Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 05:24 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 21:36 by batass4880
Begins--Ra's al Ghul standing in the middle of the main street and gassing the population while wearing a miniature gas mask.

COMPARE

'89--Joker parade.

Begins--Batman rescues Dawes from the Scarecrow, drives her to the Batcave while being chased by the police. When they get to the Batcave, he gives her an antidote.

COMPARE

'89--Museum and street chase sequence. At the Batcave, Batman gives Vicki the secret to the Smylex scare.

I'll put the 'I'm Batman' introduction in Begins down as well.

The Joker in '89 and TDK clearly didn't care about money.

TDK--He torches his half of the mob's money to "send a message".

'89--Dumps millions of dollars on the streets just to watch people die.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Tue, 17 Feb  2009, 04:17However, Nolan's tributes are cool. They're not like Superman Returns, which seemed to be copying a lot of things from the first & second films rather than paying tribute. Is that a reason why you dislike it so much, Thecolorsblend?
That's part of it.  The other part of it is that the Singer movie sucks.   :P

Nah, seriously, Singer made basically zero artistic decisions I agreed with.  I thought Routh was bland, boring and the antithesis of Superman physically speaking.  The over-reliance on Richard Donner simply proves how many people haven't seen STM.  Singer thought STM was as famous and iconic as Star Wars and found out the hard way that it's not.  Which any could've told him if he'd simply asked.

More broadly, Donner's interpretation is merely an interpretation.  It is not and never has been Superman's gospel.  Singer would've done himself a tremendous favor if he'd sought influences aside from Donner; that he didn't and that Superman behaves the way he does in the movie says all you need to know about how much Singer doesn't understand about Superman.

Back to topic, the "I'm Batman" and the Batwing/Batpod charges against the Joker probably are intentional homages.

The Batcycle's ejection is similar to the Batmissle formation in Batman Returns.