Burton Batman Homages

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 19 Feb 2009, 13:48 #20 Last Edit: Thu, 19 Feb 2009, 13:50 by The Dark Knight
The African thug was energetic and hadn't experienced what Batman had - a plane crash. Batman walked all the way to the top injured, after all that he had to fight. To even consider that just shows the determination and never say die attitude of the character.

The African thug gave Batman his all, throwing every ounce of energy into his punches, and Batman absorbed them all. Batman exhausted his opponent. He managed to stay in the fight and hang in there. Even if it meant copping a beating for the time being. His skill level and fitness were still at a high level even when injured, so it's a credit to the man.

When the thug least expected it, he was sent plummeting to his doom. Goes to show that brute strength alone will not win a fight, but tactics do come into play. And that's a massive aspect of Batman.

Batman is not beaten until he's down and out.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 19 Feb  2009, 13:48The African thug was energetic and hadn't experienced what Batman had - a plane crash. Batman walked all the way to the top injured, after all that he had to fight. To even consider that just shows the determination and never say die attitude of the character.

The African thug gave Batman his all, throwing every ounce of energy into his punches, and Batman absorbed them all. Batman exhausted his opponent. He managed to stay in the fight and hang in there. Even if it meant copping a beating for the time being. His skill level and fitness were still at a high level even when injured, so it's a credit to the man.

When the thug least expected it, he was sent plummeting to his doom. Goes to show that brute strength alone will not win a fight, but tactics do come into play. And that's a massive aspect of Batman.

Batman is not beaten until he's down and out.
That's right.  And also, Batman didn't follow the Joker up there just to beat up his thugs.  He was there to save Vicki.  Any obstacle in his way had to be dealt with as expeditously as possible, given his physical limitations at that moment.

I think there are a lot of similarities.

Both Jokers end up using a writing tool as a weapon
Both Jokers end up playing the essential game of 'chicken' with Batman
Both Jokers use a gag line or prop to drop Batman's love interest from a high place and Batman has to save her, or catch her (89 with "let me lend ya a hand" and TDK with "very poor choice of words")
Both Jokers used TV broadcasts for their crimes.
Both Jokers shot a police officer while out of make-up

That's just off the top of my head, and some of it is pretty comic related, like the TV broadcasts are typical Joker. It's hard to say whether it is intentional homage, or if the characters are just inevitably intended to end up in these situations.

Excellent video

I think some stuff is not coincidental - the "come on hit me" sequence and the final shot of Joker hanging upside down are almost "I'm Batman" (from Batman Begins) moments. Friends of mine, the first time we saw the trailer, were reminded of the similar stand off from B89.

(oh, and Elfman's theme is indeed hidden somewhere in the score, I've listened to it after monthts, and it still hit me... credit to Hans Zimmer because he referred to it in interviews, and how unlike his own theme is going to be.. yet he included a musical nod)

Have any similarities to post, Silenig?

Do you ask about the music? If you listen to the final track (The Dark Knight) after, I think 7:00 or 8:00, there's almost a minute with bass-heavy, Zimmeresque references to a few notes of the Elfman theme.

The theme appears only once in the film and very subtly - but I watched it some days ago and it's fresh in my mind: just the moment we see the first establishing night-time shot of the city, after the prologue.

Sun, 22 Feb 2009, 20:51 #26 Last Edit: Mon, 2 Mar 2009, 18:35 by The Detective
Quote from: silenig on Sun, 22 Feb  2009, 20:50
Do you ask about the music? If you listen to the final track (The Dark Knight) after, I think 7:00 or 8:00, there's almost a minute with bass-heavy, Zimmeresque references to a few notes of the Elfman theme.

The theme appears only once in the film and very subtly - but I watched it some days ago and it's fresh in my mind: just the moment we see the first establishing night-time shot of the city, after the prologue.

Actually, I was talking other things (characters, wardrobe, scenes, etc.), not the music. Thanks for the info, though.

This "come hit me" Joker moment in the alley and the "bullfight" with the batbike, from the first time we saw in in the trailer, reminded me and friends of the climatic Batwing scene in B A T M A N (I think we should canonise this typing for the title instead of the B89). Both vehicles crash as well.

Also, Joker hanging, almost looking perma-white in this scene because of the light of the searchlights that hit his face? This was almost a dead ringer for the "cathedral" scene.

I think these two moments don't even require thinking.

Ledger Joker's line, "See to them, you're a freak, like me!", is similar to Penguin's "You're just jealous because I'm a genuine freak, & you have to wear a mask!"

Or also "we're both perceived as monsters" with Max-a-million, somewhat of a different scenario though, but still, just sprung to mind.