Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne/Batman

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Fri, 16 Jan 2009, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all. I'm new to this site, but I basically agree with its sentiment regarding Tim Burton's Batman films. As far as Keaton vs. Bale, both have good points and bad. My biggest complaint where Keaton is concerned, and this is the writing more, is he takes forever to act. In Batman Returns, he just stands there and watches the Ice Princess plunge to her death, he could have run over there when she was panicking and grabbed her arm, instead he runs as she falls, implicating himself in the process. I'm not completely sold on Batman killing, even though it is in the early comics, but I still excepted it in Burton's movies. Those are my primary quibbles with Keaton and again it is more the writing.  I think Bale is good, but I definitely prefer Keaton's whispery voice and monosyllabic dialogue over Bale's gutteral speeches.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 01:58 #61 Last Edit: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 02:02 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: gordonblu on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 01:51
Hello all. I'm new to this site, but I basically agree with its sentiment regarding Tim Burton's Batman films. As far as Keaton vs. Bale, both have good points and bad. My biggest complaint where Keaton is concerned, and this is the writing more, is he takes forever to act. In Batman Returns, he just stands there and watches the Ice Princess plunge to her death, he could have run over there when she was panicking and grabbed her arm, instead he runs as she falls, implicating himself in the process. I'm not completely sold on Batman killing, even though it is in the early comics, but I still excepted it in Burton's movies. Those are my primary quibbles with Keaton and again it is more the writing.  I think Bale is good, but I definitely prefer Keaton's whispery voice and monosyllabic dialogue over Bale's gutteral speeches.

Well, she could've stepped down. She didn't have to stand on the ledge all night. It was her fault that she decided to stand there like a dummy, so Keaton's Batman can't be blamed. After all, he did tell her "Don't look down."

Anyway, welcome to the site.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 01:58
Quote from: gordonblu on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 01:51

Well, she could've stepped down. She didn't have to stand on the ledge all night. It was her fault that she decided to stand there like a dummy, so Keaton's Batman can't be blamed. After all, he did tell her "Don't look down."

Anyway, welcome to the site.

Yeah and also it was nightime and he was in a pretty scary looking Batsuit, he wouldn't want to just jump out and frighten her when she's on a ledge.

Quote from: batass4880 on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 00:50
Here's a really cool graphic novel cover that looks just like Keaton with "Schumacherangs" in the back:

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/batman_child_of.jpg
I've always thought that looked a lot like Keaton. He's in a similar brooding pose as well. Great picture.

As far as Batman and the ice princess goes, I always figured he told her not to move because he was in the situation, well aware it was a trap. He knew it was to obvious to just run up to her and pull her down.

Of course. It's natural to be aprehensive to the situation when Penguin practically begged Batman to 'preserve the peace', an obvious trap of some sort he's planned.

The Ice Princess just had to quickly step off herself, Batman didn't have to help her at all, it's not very hard to do. It was just that she was thick and lazy, and just like Catwoman said "Just waiting for some Batman to save you." When she stumbled, Batman went to reach out, but it was all too late.

Anyway, if Batman did save her, he'd still be framed with the hijacked Batmobile rampage.

And here's a question, when Penguin threw the umbrella full of bats, did the police notice him there?

Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 04:06 #66 Last Edit: Fri, 27 Feb 2009, 22:04 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 03:57
The Ice Princess just had to quickly step off herself, Batman didn't have to help her at all, it's not very hard to do. It was just that she was thick and lazy, and just like Catwoman said "Just waiting for some Batman to save you." When she stumbled, Batman went to reach out, but it was all too late.

That's a post of brilliance.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 03:57
And here's a question, when Penguin threw the umbrella full of bats, did the police notice him there?

Apparently, no. But what I'd like to know is how they weren't able to spot him. I mean, he was right there! Did they not hear him while coming up the stairs? ??? :-\

True. He evaded those police expertly. They didn't see him going up the stairs when they were charging their way up behind him, didn't see him off to the side on the roof, or making his way back down. They must have been soley focused on Batman.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 04:12
True. He evaded those police expertly. They didn't see him going up the stairs when they were charging their way up behind him, didn't see him off to the side on the roof, or making his way back down. They must have been soley focused on Batman.

This all would not have started if the Ice Princess had realized something odd about the Penguin & the Poodle Lady. I mean seriously. How in the world could she have thought that Oswald was a photographer? She really seemed like a stereotypical dumb blonde (although she was beautiful, I'll tell you that). And apparently, she had no idea who he was prior to this incident. She must not have had a liking towards news reports.

Also, Gordon said that blood was found on the batarang thrown at the Ice Princess, yet there was no blood on her after the incident. Was that a possible goof?

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 04:21
Also, Gordon said that blood was found on the batarang thrown at the Ice Princess, yet there was no blood on her after the incident. Was that a possible goof?
Hmmm...she didn't appear wounded or anything to me. Penguin did throw that batarang at her, though. But who says that it had the Ice Princess' blood on it?