Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne/Batman

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Fri, 16 Jan 2009, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 14:03
Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 13:04To settle the score- Keaton’s Batman to me is the Batman Bob Kane first envisioned when doing those early issues of Batman with a bit of Frank Miller’s TDKR Batman also in for good mix. And Bale is a modern Batman from the Denny O Neil/Neil Adams stories in the 70s as well as graphic novels such as Batman The Killing Joke and Batman: The Long Halloween.
It's interesting to me how many people miss that stuff.  One common criticism you hear from people who have no familiarity with any pre-O'Neil Batman is that Keaton's character was Batman In Name Only but otherwise is a unique Burton creation.

Good catch, and welcome aboard.

Thanks and nice sig, and your choice of favourite Batman film is cool, I love Batman Returns and think it gets too much flack from people as well as being very underated.
"Tell me something my friend, you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight"- The Joker- Batman 89

"I guess I`m tired of wearing masks"- Selina Kyle- Batman Returns

"But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely...a legend Mr Wayne"- Henri Ducard- Batman Begins

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian, I can do those things cause I`m not a hero not like Dent"- Batman- The Dark Knight

Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 13:04To settle the score- Keaton?s Batman to me is the Batman Bob Kane first envisioned when doing those early issues of Batman with a bit of Frank Miller?s TDKR Batman also in for good mix. And Bale is a modern Batman from the Denny O Neil/Neil Adams stories in the 70s as well as graphic novels such as Batman The Killing Joke and Batman: The Long Halloween.
It's interesting to me how many people miss that stuff.  One common criticism you hear from people who have no familiarity with any pre-O'Neil Batman is that Keaton's character was Batman In Name Only but otherwise is a unique Burton creation.

Another common criticism people give Keaton is that he's below 6' & isn't muscular. It's like the silly "Jack is a fat Joker" criticism. It's just a shame to read about these people not being able to recognize their performances.

Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 20:47 #32 Last Edit: Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 20:52 by Scarecrow756
Quote from: The Batman Returns on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:42
Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 13:04To settle the score- Keaton’s Batman to me is the Batman Bob Kane first envisioned when doing those early issues of Batman with a bit of Frank Miller’s TDKR Batman also in for good mix. And Bale is a modern Batman from the Denny O Neil/Neil Adams stories in the 70s as well as graphic novels such as Batman The Killing Joke and Batman: The Long Halloween.

Another common criticism people give Keaton is that he's below 6' & isn't muscular. It's like the silly "Jack is a fat Joker" criticism. It's just a shame to read about these people not being able to recognize their performances.

True I think sometimes fans just care about the superficial elements of a character and judge the actor on how they look compared to their comic counterpart as opposed to their performance. One most recent example that springs to mind is when fans first saw pictures of Heath Ledger as The Joker and freaked out because he was not perma white.
"Tell me something my friend, you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight"- The Joker- Batman 89

"But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely...a legend Mr Wayne"- Henri Ducard- Batman Begins

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian, I can do those things cause I`m not a hero not like Dent"- Batman- The Dark Knight

Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:47
True I think sometimes fans just care about the superficial elements of a character and judge the actor on how they look compared to their comic counterpart as opposed to their performance. One most recent example that springs to mind is when fans first saw pictures of Heath Ledger as The Joker and freaked out because he was not perma white.

I doubt these people are fans. Anyway, I'd be freaked out if I saw someone with bleached skin & a permanent smile, I'll tell you that!

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:54
Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:47

I doubt these people are fans. Anyway, I'd be freaked out if I saw someone with bleached skin & a permanent smile, I'll tell you that!

Same btw do you prefer Keaton or Bale as Batman?

Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 21:05 #35 Last Edit: Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 21:18 by The Batman Returns
Keaton.

Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:47True I think sometimes fans just care about the superficial elements of a character and judge the actor on how they look compared to their comic counterpart as opposed to their performance. One most recent example that springs to mind is when fans first saw pictures of Heath Ledger as The Joker and freaked out because he was not perma white.
The difference being that an actor's height can be compensated for.  Completely changing the character (a la Joker in make up) is a whole 'nother ball of wax and SHOULD be remarked upon.

Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 21:44 #37 Last Edit: Fri, 6 Feb 2009, 22:01 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 21:40
The difference being that an actor's height can be compensated for.  Completely changing the character (a la Joker in make up) is a whole 'nother ball of wax and SHOULD be remarked upon.

The same could be said about DeVito's Penguin, who in my view, is an inspiration for Ledger's Joker.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 21:44The same could be said about DeVito's Penguin
It could be said but that wouldn't make it true.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 21:40
Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Fri,  6 Feb  2009, 20:47True I think sometimes fans just care about the superficial elements of a character and judge the actor on how they look compared to their comic counterpart as opposed to their performance. One most recent example that springs to mind is when fans first saw pictures of Heath Ledger as The Joker and freaked out because he was not perma white.

Fair enough I still think that even though Ledger`s Joker was not perma-white, he still retained the Joker`s personality flawlessy in his performance.