Two-Face's make-up

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 9 Jan 2009, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic
Its not in Bruce's nature to slap a woman back like that, and plus he deserved it for his bad morals.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Tue, 24 Feb 2009, 19:51 #31 Last Edit: Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 18:25 by gordonblu
Getting back to the whole make-up issue: I didn't have a problem with not having an exposed eyeball and teeth. The make-up for that would have been cumbersome and might have limited facial expressions to the extent of him having no expression whatsoever. At the same time, I didn't like the use of CG in The Dark Knight because it turned his face into a special effect. I would do a combination of the two, the more realistic burns with the jagged edge in the middle but with an eyelid and burned lips. I thought they could put a milky contact in the left eye and make it look like it has cataracts.

As far as Tommy Lee Jones performance, I blame Joel Schumacher and his, and I Quote: "Remember, people, we're making a cartoon" direction.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I read somewhere a Schumacher quote (I think in a 1995 CineScape/CineFantasque or something issue with this Val Kilmer picture as the cover)

that they wanted Two-Face to be more like a "comic" and not a "horror" villain. I think this might be a reason that the horror make-up with exposed eyes and teeth was scrapped and they went with the lollipop look.

I'd love to see concept art of course.

Tue, 24 Feb 2009, 21:27 #33 Last Edit: Wed, 25 Feb 2009, 00:22 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: silenig on Tue, 24 Feb  2009, 21:18
I read somewhere a Schumacher quote (I think in a 1995 CineScape/CineFantasque or something issue with this Val Kilmer picture as the cover)

that they wanted Two-Face to be more like a "comic" and not a "horror" villain. I think this might be a reason that the horror make-up with exposed eyes and teeth was scrapped and they went with the lollipop look.

I'd love to see concept art of course.

What a wasted opportunity.

Two-Face already looked like a horror villain since his first appearance back in the 40's. There was really no need to make him look like a "lollipop" as you said. Just look at B:TAS. He looked quite frightening, but parents didn't send any complaints about that.

Agggh. I like Forever, but let's face it, it's half-cooked. And since it differed a lot from Burton's films (especially its successor), they're not worth tying together.

I bet if Burton directed Forever, (it wouldn't be called that as well, I remember Burton saying how he hated the title) he'd have Two Face die as well.

I just think it's something he'd do, ending the Billie Dee Williams Harvey Dent arc.

I wonder how he would have done it. I imagine it would have been an extended death sequence ala The Penguin, not a quick moment as in Forever.

Wed, 25 Feb 2009, 00:29 #35 Last Edit: Wed, 25 Feb 2009, 00:34 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 25 Feb  2009, 00:19
I bet if Burton directed Forever, (it wouldn't be called that as well, I remember Burton saying how he hated the title) he'd have Two Face die as well.

I just think it's something he'd do, ending the Billie Dee Williams Harvey Dent arc.

I wonder how he would have done it. I imagine it would have been an extended death sequence ala The Penguin, not a quick moment as in Forever.

I agree w/ you about Two-Face's death. His death in Forever made no sense. Bruce gave Dick a speech about how killing is wrong, yet he threw those coins in the air at the same time as Two-Face's. He lost his balance while trying to find & catch it, thus leading him to his doom. Bruce knew that Harvey was prone to that. Why didn't he just try another method to save the day w/o causing Two-Face to die (so much for that speech of his)?

Why, Schumacher, why? :-\ :P

At least in Returns Batman didn't do a thing to kill Penguin. Penguin just played with a toy he didn't understand, and it cost him his life.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 25 Feb  2009, 00:34At least in Returns Batman didn't do a thing to kill Penguin. Penguin just played with a toy he didn't understand, and it cost him his life.
Agreed.  It does beg the question of what exactly Batman was going to use that device for though...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 25 Feb  2009, 04:21
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 25 Feb  2009, 00:34At least in Returns Batman didn't do a thing to kill Penguin. Penguin just played with a toy he didn't understand, and it cost him his life.
Agreed.  It does beg the question of what exactly Batman was going to use that device for though...

It looked as if he fully intended on letting Penguin decide is own fate. He didn't put up much of a fight in keeping the device and didn't appear to want to keep it.

Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 03:49 #39 Last Edit: Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 04:15 by The Dark Knight
True, Batman didn't put up a fight at all. It was literally all in Penguin's hands. He had no idea what the thing was, tried to be clever, and it cost him. In turn, his lair was blown to smithereens, and he fell into the waste.

I imagine if Batman had control of the device for a little while longer, he would have tried to negotiate with him, explaining what the thing did, etc. Only after Penguin went crazy after seeing 'his babies' would his mind-set change. There'd be no point talking to him, because he's not in that mood and wouldn't listen anyway. He thinks he's the one in control because he's stolen an item from Batman.

Batman couldn't have known where they would face off, though - near a sky light that drops into the toxic waste. It was just what eventuated. When Penguin got in the duck and tried to escape, that changed things.