1989 Batsuit

Started by WingedFreak71, Wed, 7 Jan 2009, 22:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 10 Jan 2009, 08:15 #20 Last Edit: Sat, 10 Jan 2009, 08:17 by DocLathropBrown
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Fri,  9 Jan  2009, 23:13
No problem, did I ever state I had one?lol My point is we never got to see batman be any kind of acrobat like he is in the comics, other than that I absolutely love the suit.

My problem is if the BR suit is much more flexible how come most of the fighting looks stale and batman seems like he's lucky to be winning his fights, they really didnt show how much more flexible it is in his fighting technique(probably cause they didnt give him one).

I dont love TDK suit very much at all, but it does look ALOT better in fight scenes and the mobility works perfectly, my favorite thing about that is they gave Bats his own fighting style which is so original and badass, its so much different than most "generic" fighting we see in most action films.

I don't think the BR fights look like that at all. In fact, the street fight in BR is my favorite Batman movie fight of all time. Keaton's out there kicking ass (yes, it IS him) and quite effectively, too. This time, you can tell he isn't hampered by mobility issues. You can see him turn his head pretty far, repeatedly in that fight scene.

I read in some interview that the BR suit was on a more lightweight material, that could wear out easier, but was cheaper, so they just went through a whole bunch of them, but it was worth it because it looked great, was more mobile and was cheaper, so with so many more needing to be used, it kind of ended up costing the same amount as less of the more stiff/durable suits.

I don't give a damn about little tidbits like an invented fighting style. A successful kick is a successful kick. I don't care if it's original or not. If he's kicking ass, he's kicking ass, pure and simple. I don't see how anyone can find the BR street fight stilted at all. It's faster, more furious than those in B89 (which I find great, but I'll admit show a lack of finesse on Burton's part on how to shoot action). Although I will admit the bit where Batman bends over and turns around to avoid a swinging bar looks slow and odd, but that's the only moment.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I also think Batman Returns had superb fight scenes. In my opinion they portrayed Batman in his most classic form as Keaton kicked some major ass and looked absolutely convincing doing it. He seemed to get a seemingly more obvious satisfaction from it which reminded me of the Frank Miller Batman.

I agree, I dont care about unique fighting styles! lol Who is going to know that when watching it!!! Some of my favourite parts of Batman Returns is when he's fighting on the rooftops of Gotham!

That said my favourite fighting scene of all the Batman movies is TDK's Batman entrance. (not including the Batman/Joker showdown in the Cathedral)

Thats funny you dont care about a specific fighting style for batman considering he has plenty of them in the comics, a basic kick and punch kinda left batman a long time ago. To each their own but the fight scene in the street in BR is really stale IMO, I think all of the fighting in that film is done badly, it wasnt cheoreographed well at all, theres no intensity to it, I think the fight scenes in Batman Forever are alot better than the ones in BR, we all know Burton at that point wasnt very good with action at all. If I remember correctly thats why with 89 (i forgot who it was that helped) Burton needed someone to help him to shoot the action sequences because he wasnt that savvy with them, and it shows in BR.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

As much as I love the '89 suit, I thought he looked better in the Returns one. He looked bigger and bulkier to me if that makes any sense. I still prefer the chest emblem from '89 though.

I think the thing with the Returns suit is that it fitted better than the '89 suit. I have to say, I do like the Returns suit, but I liked the more human look of the '89 one so thats why I like it better, and I looked like armour. I never liked the 'squaring' off of the Returns suit, as nice as it looked.

The cowl was nice too, and fitted better in returns than in '89, but I think the '89 cowl looked meaner.

The BR suit even though I love it alot, looks very flimsy and rubbery in the film, due to the fact its thinner and more lightweight. I dont care how heavy the '89 suit was, it is still the best batsuit to date IMO, along with the panther suit if slight modifactions could've been made to it!

Tue, 13 Jan 2009, 02:05 #27 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Jan 2009, 21:05 by batass4880
Didn't the '89 suit weigh like 70-lbs? Probably because it was all rubber.

Yeah, I can't remember the specifics, but I remember hearing about it's weight when I was a kid and thinking how ridiculously heavy that figure sounded. Both of Keaton's suits were great in their own ways, but I think the cowl and mask overall was slightly improved in Returns.

From what I've heard the 89 suit weighed around 100lbs. that sounds like quite a bit to walk around in to me.