Batman Returns blu-ray... EDITED?

Started by Pantallica78, Thu, 11 Dec 2008, 18:42

Previous topic - Next topic
So, since I am in America but Warner usually releases blu-rays region free, I want to know... Will Batman Returns still have an edit involving the scene with Catwoman and some microwaves in Shreck's department store? If so, I will wait till it is released in America?

I had read reviews that for the 2-disc dvd of Batman Returns in the UK, it had several seconds from that one scene edited that is NOT edited here in the US. So I need to know if the same edit will carry over to blu-ray? I already own the 8-disc anthology set released in 2005, and only plan on double-dipping for the 2 Burton Batman films on blu-ray. The 2 Schumacher films on Standard DVD is good enough for me!

The only possible thing I thought might be cut from the UK Blu-Ray is Batman headbutting Catwoman.  I've heard that the authorities over there don't like headbutts very much and they can sometimes be clipped out of movies.

Catwoman headbutting Batman? I didn't even know that wa sin jeopardy of being edited out! Sheesh, are they strict. I may just wait and see till they are released and reviewed first to determine whether I get them early from the UK, or wait till the US releases them. But I'm such a Bat-fan, I hope they are all completely UNCUT!

The edit in the UK is the aerosol cans in the microwave.  It will still be cut on the UK Blu-ray since the movie has not been submitted to the BBFC since the SE DVD's were released.

I am not sure whether this will affect the rest of the world - i suspect not.

Fri, 12 Dec 2008, 01:19 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 12 Dec 2008, 01:33 by The Dark Knight
To cut scenes from films is stupidity. It is wrong. These scenes are apart of the film, they have equal right to be there as the rest of it does. It is deleting a piece of history. Bloody hell.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 12 Dec  2008, 01:19
To cut scenes from films is stupidity. It is wrong. These scenes are apart of the film, they have equal right to be there as the rest of it does. It is deleting a piece of history. Bloody hell.
I totally agree, that really is stupid, leave the film how it is, and YES I know about laws and regulations, but come on.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

What I don't understand is why head-butts, ninja stuff and microwaving spray cans is taboo but gun violence is no problem. :-\

Quote from: batass4880 on Fri, 12 Dec  2008, 02:48
What I don't understand is why head-butts, ninja stuff and microwaving spray cans is taboo but gun violence is no problem. :-\
I guess its just some places in this world are really weird about certain things.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

The BBFC censor anything that may lead to dangerous copycat actions in films that are likely to attract a younger audience (even though they grant it a 12 rating - and 15 before the SE DVD's)

Personally I don't have a problem with responsible censorship, but the BBFC has been very hypocritical in some of their decisions in the last few years - in effect pandering to the pressures of the big studios.