The Controversy and Chaos of Batman's origins!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Thu, 4 Dec 2008, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I've always felt that both Burton and Nolan changed the canon of Bat's origins a great deal, but only to boost the creativity of their story, ultimately so the villain had a more personal connection to the hero (Joker, Ra's.) Is it comic canon? Nope, but the comics don't need to be held as Holy Scripture, just a reference. Besides, one wants a director to use his own story telling talents, and not just the talents of the comic writers. I didn't have a problem with either of the aforementioned directors? decisions. Both benefited the story they were telling.

I like the origins shown in both BB and 89, and even the little bits shown in forever.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Dec  2008, 08:23
Even though it adds to the character?s trauma of bats, I would have preferred Nolan just use the film that is The Mark of Zorro. But likewise, while Burton does not use Chill at all, it doesn?t really matter. It?s a different take; Batman?s world is a large canvas.

I've just read an interview in which Uslan states the other mugger with Jack is Joe Chill.

Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 15:49 #13 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 17:34 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: ral on Sun, 29 Mar  2009, 13:23
I've just read an interview in which Uslan states the other mugger with Jack is Joe Chill.

Really?

I don't know if this is the one that ral read, but the intro to the collection Batman in the Fifties has an introduction by Uslan, who states that they weren't sure about the twist of Joker killing the Waynes until they talked to Bob Kane.  Kane loved the idea, though, and said that if the Joker was around earlier, he would have been the one who killed the Waynes (although the idea of Joe Chill didn't come out until the 1950s, but anyways...).
To compromise, Uslan added the second mugger so fans could interpret that Joe Chill was still there and had a role in their deaths.  (Mind you, I'm paraphrasing since I don't have the book on me now).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I think The Joker being Wayne's killer works pretty good for B89. Batman's origin in Begins is more close to the comics, but I think it could be better.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 18:24 #16 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 19:27 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: GuedesGothamKnight on Sun, 29 Mar  2009, 18:15
... Batman's origin in Begins is more close to the comics...

In some aspects, yes (Joe Chill being the murderer). However, since when were the Waynes murdered after seeing an opera? Never. So, in terms of accuracy to the comics, I think it's best that we all give them a tied score, because they each have their own twists to them that's not featured in the comics.

Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 20:09 #17 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 20:12 by silenig
This view is totally subjective, but I think a "problem" with the BB murder scene is that it's a bit too straightforward and lacks emotion compared to the 1989 version. In the '89 film, the scene feels like a bad dream, like seen from Wayne's perspective (the score contributes to it). Maybe it's because in BB it's "real time" (I think) and in B89 a flashback scene?

Quote from: silenig on Sun, 29 Mar  2009, 20:09
This view is totally subjective, but I think a "problem" with the BB murder scene is that it's a bit too straightforward and lacks emotion compared to the 1989 version. In the '89 film, the scene feels like a bad dream, like seen from Wayne's perspective (the score contributes to it).

Agreed. It's a chilling scene, especially when Napier emerges from the shadows & delivers his dialogue with such a sick smile on his face.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun, 29 Mar  2009, 17:15
I don't know if this is the one that ral read, but the intro to the collection Batman in the Fifties has an introduction by Uslan, who states that they weren't sure about the twist of Joker killing the Waynes until they talked to Bob Kane.

It was an actual lenghty interview. They could be from the same source, but then Uslan does have a habit of repeating himself alot.  :)

I will get it scanned in asap - basically when asked if the second mugger was Joe Chill he says "Yes". He also defends the choice to kill off the Joker and how that should affect Batman's motivation in future films. The interview took place after B89 and talks about the possible sequel "Returns".