What do you actually LIKE from the Schumacher films?

Started by DarkVengeance, Wed, 26 Nov 2008, 04:18

Previous topic - Next topic
 8)

it is a spectical - i have seen a little in HD and it does look great

Tue, 3 Nov 2009, 11:58 #111 Last Edit: Tue, 3 Nov 2009, 12:02 by The Dark Knight
Alright guys. I'm about to do something stupid. I'm going to break my five year (or however long it is) Batman Forever drought and watch the damn thing.

I've watched the Burton & Nolan films to excess, and I feel the need to watch something else. I'm not going to watch Batman & Robin, so I perceive Batman Forever to be the lesser of the two evils.

I'll let you know how I am at the end of it. I know I'm going to end up regretting this. I'll probably get cold feet. Or stop it prematurely. We'll see.

Quote from: ral on Tue,  3 Nov  2009, 13:31
You can do it!
I can't.

As I placed the disc into the player, I took it straight out.

The streak continues.

I think one thing we can be thankful of is that BF led to B&R which caused WB to snap out of their trance and give us BB and TDK. So there you go!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  4 Nov  2009, 11:58
Quote from: ral on Tue,  3 Nov  2009, 13:31
You can do it!
I can't.

As I placed the disc into the player, I took it straight out.

The streak continues.

Thyats just too much tbh, IMO Forever is a great film, better than Nolan's, its probably the best mix of darkness and lightness for Warners that they have made.

Me, I like as dark as a Batman as possible, but Forever is a good film, people binding it with B&R is just stupid, its 10x better

Quote from: Seantastic on Wed,  4 Nov  2009, 21:02
Thyats just too much tbh, IMO Forever is a great film, better than Nolan's, its probably the best mix of darkness and lightness for Warners that they have made.

Me, I like as dark as a Batman as possible, but Forever is a good film, people binding it with B&R is just stupid, its 10x better
The Schumacher entries are two of the worst pieces of cinema I can remember seeing, and I found it nigh on impossible to decide which was less deserving of last place. I genuinely find them as bad as each other. Splitting hairs here though. I have no intention of watching either of them again.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  5 Nov  2009, 02:53The Schumacher entries are two of the worst pieces of cinema I can remember seeing, and I found it nigh on impossible to decide which was less deserving of last place. I genuinely find them as bad as each other. Splitting hairs here though. I have no intention of watching either of them again.
I can only agree.  B&R is everything BF was but pretended not to be.  You could argue that B&R is the more honest film in that respect.  They're both bad... splitting hairs over which is worse has got to be like arguing the superiority of cow crap over dog crap.  WHO CARES, IT'S ALL CRAP!

I was more disappointed by Forever than I was with Batman and Robin, but that was because the gap in quality between Returns and Forever is obviously far greater than the gap between Forever and its sequel.

On balance, I would still say that Forever is marginally better than Batman and Robin though.  There were a few attempts to add a relevant and serious sub-plot to the main action, with respect of Bruce Wayne's guilt over the murder of his parents, which in many ways got to the heart of why he became Batman to begin with.  Also, the performances are generally better in Forever.  Everyone knows that Clooney is capable of giving great performances but he just didn't seem to care when he played Batman, and simply phoned the performance in.  Although I'm not the biggest fan of Kilmer at least he got the dark broodiness of Batman, and luckily he was surrounded by reasonably good performances by Kidman and Carrey.

Batman and Robin on the other hand is simply a full-blown pantomime which is seemingly designed specifically for mentally undeveloped pre-teens.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.