What do you actually LIKE from the Schumacher films?

Started by DarkVengeance, Wed, 26 Nov 2008, 04:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Very good in depth thoughts Johnny! ;D

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Kilmer's Batman seemed generic a lot of the time. He did have his moments, as when confronting Two-Face.

Here are some aspects of the Schumacher films that I do like (in random order):

* The statues around the city.

* Batman and Robin chasing Freeze in their automobiles and then Batman deactivating Robin's motorcycle. That scene was pretty cool.

* I liked the soundtrack to BF.

* George Clooney made a decent Bruce Wayne.

* Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy. I liked her, even if she receives such heavy criticism for the performance. It's Mr. Freeze and Bane that I had a real problem with.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009, 05:17 #92 Last Edit: Sun, 26 Jul 2009, 22:52 by Joker89
I liked.......

Batman Forever
-Val Kilmer as Batman
-The montage of Batman putting on his costume and retrieving his weaponry
-The music score and soundtrack including Seal, and U2
-Jim Carrey as the Riddler
-The Batmobile EXCEPT I hated those wheels with the emblem.
-I liked the suit MINUS the nipples.
-The brief but enjoyable fight sequence with Robin and the Neon hoods
-The Wayne Manor
-Nicole Kidman being half naked
-"Why you're as blind as a bat!".......exactly.

Batman and Robin
-The Soundtrack with Smashing Pumpkins, and Bone Thugz N' Harmony
-The crane shot going into the museum with the Arnold's great 12 second performance as Mr. Freeze(he was actually scary)...afterward....not so much.
-The Sky Surfing sequence
-Uma Thurman was pretty hot

and I think that's it!
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

I absolutely loved the end credits for both films.

Same i really like the end credits for Forever with the U2 song.

Quote from: Sandman on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 05:16
I was meaning in the sense both films had finished. The end credits are easily the best segments of both films.  ;)

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 09:21
Quote from: Sandman on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 05:16
I was meaning in the sense both films had finished. The end credits are easily the best segments of both films.  ;)

........LOL cracked me up

I apologize if such as been repeated as I did not read through the ten pages of posts.

I liked Schumachers portrayal of Bruce Wayne. While the Batman scenes got silly, I liked how he had Bruce similar to the Keaton character in Forever but finally realizing he had to deal with his guilt for fear of feeling sorry for him for the rest of his life. I wish they left the scene in when Bruce finds out that his parents death was not his fault. It makes Batman and Robin make more sense. Batman and Robin shows the transition to the next step for Bruce. He doesn't act tortured mentally but he now has to look after Dick and now Alfred as well. I actually thought Clooney made an excellent Bruce Wayne. He's suave and did not act silly as Bruce Wayne aside from a bedroom joke.

I think Dick Grayson was handled well in Forever. He was a great character in and out of the costume. While Carrey was slightly over the top, I enjoyed him as the Riddler. Batman Forever is probably the most family oriented batman film. Burton and Nolans films are more adult oriented (for violence and general adult content reasons), the Adam West version and Batman and Robin seem enjoyable for children but campy for adults. Batman Forever presents a happy medium. I think Forever gets a bad rap due to Batman and Robin. If the original series ended at a trilogy I think Forever would be better perceived.

I've got to see these movies again, despite how horrible I was once believed them to be and which Batman & Robin still is, Forever not so much.  From what I can remember in BF is that Bruce's memories of the death of his parents and how he coped with the nightmares was a very dramatic and well suited for the dark and troubled mind of Bruce.

I also found the scene where Batman jumped and flew down 30 stories and got his ass beaten by Two-Face pretty awesome. Plus, when Grayson pulls him out of the rubble Batman kind of looks like the Keaton Batman from the first film, which is a plus in my book (Batman 89 is my favorite film). For some reason I enjoy watching when the hero gets his ass beat, like when Keaton Batman got his ass handed to him by that big black guy, and then proves triumphant in the end.

In B&R, I thought it was amazing when the credits started to roll after the film was over, that was by far the most enjoyable scene.
No rest, not for the wicked...nor those who dare deal with them.

Quote from: batman89 on Sun, 16 Aug  2009, 20:07
For some reason I enjoy watching when the hero gets his ass beat, like when Keaton Batman got his ass handed to him by that big black guy, and then proves triumphant in the end.
So do I. I also liked the scene in Begins where he was fear gassed and set on fire. He was beaten, and he learned from that experience. It humanises the character and makes the threat seem real. There's a sense that he could possibly be beaten, and every fight is not a given victory. He always eventually manages to get the upper hand- but only after a struggle. The victory is then that much sweeter.