Returns at Pinewood

Started by batass4880, Mon, 24 Nov 2008, 04:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 01:31 #10 Last Edit: Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 03:04 by batass4880
I've read somewhere that Anton Furst could not design the Returns set because his contract from 89 forbid him to do any sequels. Anyone know if this was true?

Also, did Burton want Furst to do it at first or did he want a new designer no matter what?

I do like the set design of BR it is one of the most different and original sets for a movie, of all time, I just dont like it as much as 89 or the narrows in BB!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: batass4880 on Sat, 29 Nov  2008, 01:31
I've read somewhere that Anton Furst could not design the Returns set because his contract from 89 forbid him to do any sequels. Anyone know if this was true?

Also, did Burton want Furst to do it at first or did he want a new designer no matter what?

Furst had other commitments and couldn't do the set design.

Not actually.  BR was shot in 1991.  And likely the designs had to have begun around late 1990, if not before.

Didn't Furst commit suicide in 90 or 91'?

Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 13:47 #15 Last Edit: Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 14:01 by Batman
Oh my! I didn't know he commited suicide. :-[ :-[ :-[

According to the IMDb contractual obligations kept him from being able to do the work he did on Batman in the sequel.

Also, the reason for the suicide is often interpreted very differently.
Some say it happened because he felt he didn't receive enough recognition, which I find a little  far fetched, other account it for his break up with Beverly'd Angelo, while others say it was because he couldn't find anyone giving him the chance to direct movies himself.

Whatever it was, his death is a great loss, as we will all agree.

I'm a little surprised I didn't find this out any sooner. Is there any mention of this on the SE DVD?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 29 Nov  2008, 05:36
Not actually.  BR was shot in 1991.  And likely the designs had to have begun around late 1990, if not before.

Although not on imdb, I think I read somewhere that he was also doing other work in the UK (but that may not be accurate).

Anton commited suicide and that's why he wasn't the designer on Returns...Rolling Stone magazine had a very good article on his life/death back in the 90's ...I'll try and locate the exact issue..I know I have it somewhere.

I dont know where Ive been, I never even knew he commited suicide.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Sun, 30 Nov 2008, 03:37 #19 Last Edit: Tue, 2 Dec 2008, 01:09 by batass4880
Quote from: Reevz666 on Sun, 30 Nov  2008, 02:40
Anton commited suicide and that's why he wasn't the designer on Returns...

I don't think it was because of his death. The movie was already being shot at the time of his suicide which was in November of 1991. I think pre-production started sometime after Waters handed in his final draft of the movie which was around May of '91.