Couple Of Questions

Started by WingedFreak71, Thu, 6 Nov 2008, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone know why the Penguin action figure by Kenner looks nothing like him from the movie? It's just the comic book one that's all black instead of blue.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 03:59 #51 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 04:06 by Dark Knight Detective
^ Good question. That's also strange, b/c every other DeVito Penguin product looks just like DeVito.

Another question is this: how come the Batman action figures aren't wearing the Returns suit (color variations included) for the Returns action figure line?

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 03:59
^ Good question. That's strange, b/c every other DeVito Penguin product looks just like DeVito.

Another question is this: how come Batman isn't wearing the Returns suit for the Returns action figure line?

Yeah seriously. If they got the Catwoman figure right, you'd think they'd get those two right also.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 04:08 #53 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 04:10 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: batass4880 on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 04:06
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 03:59
^ Good question. That's strange, b/c every other DeVito Penguin product looks just like DeVito.

Another question is this: how come Batman isn't wearing the Returns suit for the Returns action figure line?

Yeah seriously. If they got the Catwoman figure right, you'd think they'd get those two right also.

I recall reading that the reason why the Penguin action figure didn't look like DeVito's was b/c it would've frightened children.

I'm sure that as for the Batman figures, that was just pure laziness.

QuoteAnyone know why the Penguin action figure by Kenner looks nothing like him from the movie? It's just the comic book one that's all black instead of blue.

Quote^ Good question. That's strange, b/c every other DeVito Penguin product looks just like DeVito.

The BR line represented the third time 'round for that particular Penguin mold.  My first guess would be that Kenner was being unbelievably cheap.  That, or Kenner didn't want to risk crafting a figure that genuinely looked like the DeVito Penguin.

As for Batman, pretty much it's the same for him too... but with less articulation, fewer features and a somewhat redesigned head.

Cuz, y'know, kids HATE it when figures look like their movie counterparts.  Looking back at it, pretty much the only one they got "right" was Catwoman.

Still, I'll give Kenner props for more aggressively accessorizing their Batman line.  The B89 Toy Biz line had, what, Batman, Joker, Bob, a Batmobile, a Batwing and a cheapass Batcave?  I was far more impressed with Kenner's line(s).  More figures, more vehicles, more sets, etc.

Mon, 9 Mar 2009, 01:11 #55 Last Edit: Mon, 9 Mar 2009, 01:24 by Reevz666
Quote from: batass4880 on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 03:53
Anyone know why the Penguin action figure by Kenner looks nothing like him from the movie? It's just the comic book one that's all black instead of blue.

I read that Devito wouldn't approve his likeness...that's why the original animated Series Penguin figure was yanked after a few months of being on the shelves because it was modeled too much after the Returns Penguin.

For the Batman figures, I think they were using old Dark Knight Collection molds. They probably thought that it would be easier to cut corners with the penguin figure as well. The reason the catwoman was accurate was because I don't think there had been a catwoman figure in the U.S. before, so they had to create a new mold anyway.

Mon, 9 Mar 2009, 02:05 #57 Last Edit: Mon, 9 Mar 2009, 02:16 by Dark Knight Detective
^ Actually, there was going to be a Catwoman figure released for the DC Super Powers Collection back in 1986, but it ended up getting canceled. And I think I recall seeing Catwoman merchandise before 1992.

Here's two Burton film questions. How did Bruce learn to become a martial artist, & where did he get all of those foreign valuables that are displayed in Wayne Manor?

Keaton's Bruce Wayne probably learned martial art skills from the same people who taught Bale's Bruce Wayne, i.e. Henry Ducard, his mentor (irrespective of whether he was actually Ras Al Ghul or not).
Bruce Wayne's a billionaire, so it would not be very difficult for him to collect various artefacts from throughout the world.  I imagine that he collected them as 'research' for his own costume and armour pre-Batman.  Alternatively, he might just be a freak with a military history obsession.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.