Couple Of Questions

Started by WingedFreak71, Thu, 6 Nov 2008, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 15 Feb 2009, 03:45 #40 Last Edit: Sun, 15 Feb 2009, 03:49 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: batass4880 on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 03:29
Kevin Smith--Did he like Tim Burton's Batman or did he not it?

I ask because I heard him say something along the lines of "Tim Burton knows nothing about Batman and it shows in '89" yet he was on the '89 SE DVD saying nice things about it. Anyone know what his real feelings are on the film?

If he didn't like the film, then why would he have appeared in the special features? I mean, was he getting paid or something to give BATMAN a positive view? And yes, I have heard & read about his comments on Tim Burton.

From what I've read, his comments were negative. Why would he say such things? I have no clue. However, it does make him sound very jealous of Burton's trademark talent.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 03:45If he didn't like the film, then why would he have appeared in the special features? I mean, was he getting paid or something to give BATMAN a positive view or something? And yes, I have heard & read about his comments on Tim Burton.

Why would he say such things? I have no clue. However, it does make him sound very jealous of Burton's trademark talent.

Basically, Smith said that Burton stole his idea for the ending for the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie from a comic of his. Burton denied it by saying something like "Anyone who knows me knows I don't read comic books" to which Smith responded "Yeah, that explains Batman".

At first I thought Smith was being sarcastic by basically saying "Oh you don't like comics, yet you made a comic book movie" but I now know he was saying that Burton had no idea what he was doing when he made '89.

That was in 2001. Then to my surprise, he was on the 2005 '89 DVD basically praising it.

Quote from: batass4880 on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 03:59
Basically, Smith said that Burton stole his idea for the ending for the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie from a comic of his. Burton denied it by saying something like "Anyone who knows me knows I don't read comic books" to which Smith responded "Yeah, that explains Batman".

At first I thought Smith was being sarcastic by basically saying "Oh you don't like comics, yet you made a comic book movie" but I now know he was saying that Burton had no idea what he was doing when he made '89.

That was in 2001. Then to my surprise, he was on the 2005 '89 DVD basically praising it.

But what was his true purpose in 89's special features? Was his positive perspective a way of saying that he was an idiot for saying that BATMAN was directed by an "idiot"?

Quote from: batass4880 on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 03:59Basically, Smith said that Burton stole his idea for the ending for the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie from a comic of his. Burton denied it by saying something like "Anyone who knows me knows I don't read comic books" to which Smith responded "Yeah, that explains Batman".
He (Smith) talks about this on the first Evening With Kevin Smith DVD.  Basically he noticed that the end of Burton's Planet of the Apes was similar to his ending to the ending of a Jay & Silent Bob comic book he created.  From the sounds of it, Smith didn't actually think Burton ripped it off, he just sarcastically told a journalist friend of his something like "I'm ticked about it and I'm gonna sue him".  It was intended to be purely for entertainment but the press ran with it and before Smith knew what hit him, he was getting calls from people asking when he's going to file his lawsuit, what exactly he feels Burton ripped off, etc.  Burton at one point got in the mix personally and said "I'd never read a comic book, esp one written by Smith".  Smith's sarcastic reply was "yeah, that'd explain Batman".  I think Smith was just taking a cheap shot there as B89's comic book influences are too clear and specific to be an accident.

QuoteThat was in 2001. Then to my surprise, he was on the 2005 '89 DVD basically praising it.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 04:09But what was his true purpose in 89's special features? Was his positive perspective a way of saying that he was an idiot for saying that BATMAN was directed by an "idiot"?
Whether or not Smith actually liked B89, I think he's not so stupid as to ignore the importance it has/had.  In his mind, that likely transcends his own personal feelings about the film.  I liken it to when Episode One came out.  Love or hate that film, you can't say that 1999 was a bad time to be a Star Wars fan.  Plus, the guy is, by his own admission, a "press whore" who will let anybody interview him for just about anything.  I think he involved himself in the B89 extras (A) because of his love for being interviewed and (B) because even he recognizes the importance of B89 as a cultural high point of his high school years, and of the 80's, and of comics adaptations, and of film in general.

The modern equivalent seems to be TDK.  Whatever I think of the flick, there's no denying the influence it's likely going to have (for better or worse) on future comic book movies.

I heard from Wikipedia that after Sean Young got injured, Tim Burton considered Michelle Pfeiffer to play Vicki Vale but then decided it would be too awkward because Michael Keaton and Pfeiffer were an item at the time.

Anyone know if this was true?

Thu, 19 Feb 2009, 20:39 #45 Last Edit: Fri, 27 Feb 2009, 02:17 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: batass4880 on Thu, 19 Feb  2009, 19:44
I heard from Wikipedia that after Sean Young got injured, Tim Burton considered Michelle Pfeiffer to play Vicki Vale but then decided it would be too awkward because Michael Keaton and Pfeiffer were an item at the time.

Anyone know if this was true?

Yes.

Another stupid question--"I make art until someone dies". What exactly does that mean?

Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 02:57 #47 Last Edit: Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 03:00 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: batass4880 on Thu, 26 Feb  2009, 02:11
Another stupid question--"I make art until someone dies". What exactly does that mean?
Simple. He means that his victims laugh themselves to death, and afterwards they have the grin plastered across their face. He considers this art.

Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 04:26 #48 Last Edit: Thu, 26 Feb 2009, 17:24 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: batass4880 on Thu, 26 Feb  2009, 02:11Another stupid question--"I make art until someone dies". What exactly does that mean?
Jack Napier was always a sick f#!k.  But before the acid, he was a hitman.  After the acid, he was still a killer but in a different way.  He used murder as a means of artistic and psychological expression.

He was always going to be a murderer, the deal is that becoming the Joker changed his perspective (but not so much his basic character and morality).  Me?  I think he sorta lied to Vicki.  He had it backwards.  "Someone dies so I can make art."

In his old life, he killed for money.  In his new life, he killed to artistically express himself.

You tell me which is sicker...

Well, looking at Alicia (as he calls her, a "living work of art"), apparently he's into disfigurement for fun, and he considers that (and/or the use of Smylex to kill) art. So he really does "make" art until someone dies. He disfigures them repeatedly, until they die.

That's why he tries to hit Vicki in the face with a stream of acid from his flower. He wants to start "making" art with her. If you look at it, he aims straight for her face, and I'd say the damage on Alicia's face might be consistant with acid burns.

And they say Jack's Joker wasn't a sick f***er.  ;)
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton