Best Title Sequence

Started by The Dark Knight, Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better?

Batman
Batman Returns
Which title sequence is better?

The mysterious, black bat logo being revealed with the yellow text, or the journey of Oswald through the sewers?

My vote is for Returns. It's top stuff, one of the best scenes in the film I think.

I think that Batman (89) had the best opening sequence of all the Batman films, including the recent Nolan films. It was subtley marvellous without any need for flash or extravagance.

Returns comes in at a very respectable #2, very moody with a foreboding score, of what hell this little deformed boy will unleash in the future.

To each his own. Both are good.

Hey fellow Batfans, empireonline.com has a poll in which you can vote for five of your all time favourite screen characters. You type them in the spaces provided along with the film they were from. I already voted for Batman and The Joker (89), so go ahead and vote!

89 by 100% it just felt like Batman, where BR felt like it could've been any Tim Burton film.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

89 Just the way you travel through all the twist's and turn's and end up with the emblem. It's just awesome.

I like the BR opening better.  For one thing, there's something to look at besides abstract shapes and light and shadows.  For two, the music is spookier and more menacing.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 22:56
I like the BR opening better.  For one thing, there's something to look at besides abstract shapes and light and shadows.  For two, the music is spookier and more menacing.
Yes the music is much more gothic and eery, but the 89 music is much more heroic and mysterious for sure.Thats the thing about the 89 opening sequence at your first viewing of it, you cant really tell what it is your seeing, like maybe its a cave or something and while the music builds up at the end reveals its the bat symbol, one of the most iconic images of anything Batman-related of all time.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

With Returns, the story is being progressed. It's got more interesting thing to look at, sinister surroundings and all that water. The music is better in my opinion, too.