"Catwoman" a spin-off of Batman Returns?

Started by phantom stranger, Sat, 18 Oct 2008, 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Didn't see a thread about this so I thought I'd bring it up...

I finally got around to seeing Catwoman the other month. To my surprise, it wasn't absolutely horrible. It was just bad.

Anyways, there's a quick shot of Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman in the movie, implying that this movie is unfortunately set in the same universe as "Batman Returns." You can click on the image below to see it.

I hope this thread didn't bring anyone to tears...

It doesn't imply that at all. There's a picture of a BR styled Catwoman. That's all. A homage if anything.

Erhhh I'm still not planning on watching it.

I unfortunately saw it, absolute tripe! How could the studio get it wrong! And to think Michelle and Tim were actually going to do a catwoman movie! That would have been a dream for me, but instead we got...well... :-[

Catwoman is a character that deserves to be seen on the big screen again and brought justice to, not brought to a tragedy!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Wed, 22 Oct 2008, 04:54 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 22 Oct 2008, 04:56 by phantom stranger
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Oct  2008, 04:15
It doesn't imply that at all. There's a picture of a BR styled Catwoman. That's all. A homage if anything.

Well the scene in question has a woman telling Halle about the other Catwomen in history. She's the one who gives her the pictures.

Plus, her origin is quite similar to Pfeiffer's. So it's a bit more than an homage.

I don't think the movie is set in Gotham so we can be thankful for that at least.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 22 Oct  2008, 04:54
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Oct  2008, 04:15

Well the scene in question has a woman telling Halle about the other Catwomen in history. She's the one who gives her the pictures.

Plus, her origin is quite similar to Pfeiffer's. So it's a bit more than an homage.

I don't think the movie is set in Gotham so we can be thankful for that at least.

Yes it does try to tie itself to Returns and may try to be in the same universe. But, it's epic failure strikes it from the record, like Batrman & Robin.

Just a pointless homage. Also, in a case of lazy writing and storytelling, the film somehow parallels Selina's supernatural origin story from Batman Returns - a humble employee who gets thrown from somewhere, dies and is resurrected by alley cats, where the villain is an evil capitalist that resides in a building with extravagant set design.

The only difference is that the "Batman" here is a hispanic cop with streetwise sensitivities.

Her first Catwoman scene also feels like Selina's attack on the cops in Shreck's department store. Even the colour scheme (with these browns and ochres) of the set design is almost identical.

Anyway, one of the most pointless movies ever made.