Michael Biehn's Batman story

Started by eledoremassis02, Fri, 11 Oct 2024, 13:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Interesting insight into early batman production

Biehn is a great choice. He has very similar qualities to Keaton, especially where Burton's ideas for Batman are concerned. It all boils down to 'what kind of person has to dress up as a bat'. Biehn has a reputation for being a guy who can play tough, troubled characters despite not having the physical presence of a Schwarzenegger. Burton's direction is that this guy isn't Superman and has to pretend he is more than what he is, which of course is just a guy. He's unassuming at a glance, but when you add the troubled psychology (IE good acting chops) and the suit then POP there you go! Batman!

I always heard about Robin Williams was rumored for The Riddler in a Burton B3, but I had no clue he was thought about for The Joker in B89.

As for Biehn, I like him in a lot of movies, but I just don't think he would've been a good fit in Burton's universe. Robin Williams, though....that could've been really good.

I believe Robin Williams' name was associated with Batman movies no less than three times.

1. Essentially used as bait to persuade Jack Nicholson to sign on as the Joker. (Batman 1989)

2. Pursued for the role of the Riddler by Joel Schumacher. Williams (per Schumacher) remained cordial, but ultimately noncommittal. Role eventually was offered to Jim Carrey instead. (Batman Forever)

3. Williams openly opined that he would like a "role" in Chris Nolan's followup to "Batman Begins" around 2006. I can't remember if "The Dark Knight" title was settled at that point, but this sparked speculation that Robin Williams might appear as Nolan's version of the Joker. (The Dark Knight 2008)

I vaguely remember Robin Williams was also brought up somewhat when there was online speculation on which villain was going to be used for "The Dark Knight Rises" prior to Bane being announced. Riddler was one for sure. I think Hugo Strange was also another.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 12 Oct  2024, 02:25I believe Robin Williams' name was associated with Batman movies no less than three times.

1. Essentially used as bait to persuade Jack Nicholson to sign on as the Joker. (Batman 1989)

2. Pursued for the role of the Riddler by Joel Schumacher. Williams (per Schumacher) remained cordial, but ultimately noncommittal. Role eventually was offered to Jim Carrey instead. (Batman Forever)

3. Williams openly opined that he would like a "role" in Chris Nolan's followup to "Batman Begins" around 2006. I can't remember if "The Dark Knight" title was settled at that point, but this sparked speculation that Robin Williams might appear as Nolan's version of the Joker. (The Dark Knight 2008)

I vaguely remember Robin Williams was also brought up somewhat when there was online speculation on which villain was going to be used for "The Dark Knight Rises" prior to Bane being announced. Riddler was one for sure. I think Hugo Strange was also another.
His absence from the Batman films will always be one of the great misfortunes of cinema history. I love Carrey's performance. But I'd trade it in a heartbeat for Williams.

"The things we could've done together..."

Yeah, even though Robin Williams will always be best remembered for being a brilliant comedic actor, he was also amazing playing darker characters. "Insomnia", "One Hour Photo", his appearance on "Law & Order" ... we really missed out with Williams as the Riddler.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."