Captain America

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 20 Jun 2024, 02:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Currently reading through the Bucky Reborn Epic Collection, which covers Cap comics from 1969-1971. I picked up this reissue because one of my reading goals was the original Stan Lee era of Captain America. It's a nice bit of consistency that this era was also largely just handled by Lee and Gene Colan; makes for a quick read when you're not having to adapt to different drawing and writing styles all the time.

This was a surprisingly great volume; I expect Stan Lee books to feel a bit dated when they're coming from the 70s, but this all felt surprisingly timeless. Of course I also forgot how solid Gene Colan's art is; he may be one of my favorite Captain America artists. His depiction of Cap is pretty much a smoother version of Kirby's design, but it's the mood and sense of emotion he portrays that sets his art apart. There's a sense of grit that comes with his heavy use of shadows and moody cityscapes at night. You don't associate it with Captain America, and that's why it feels more real.

Speaking of realness, this run deals a lot with Steve Roger's personal life; his doubts and his insecurities. Lee had always injected this sense of melancholy into Cap since his 60s revival, to his credit. This makes it all the more satisfying when Captain America triumphs in the end.

One final note is that while the art is universally good, the Joe Sinnott inked issues are standouts.

I've finished reading Captain America: The Chosen, written by First Blood author David Morrill. It's another "Death of Captain America" story, set during the War in Afghanistan, where a soldier who suffers from PTSD sees visions of Cap helping and encouraging him during the conflict, from fighting off enemies to trying to rescue trapped comrades inside a cave.

The story is a sentimental, endearing tale about the spirit of Captain America living on in every American who is a hero in their own right, no matter how much they underestimate their contribution to society. Morrill does a good job at showing Corporal Newman - the soldier who Cap befriended -  overcome a frightening moment during childhood to show bravery for the first time in his life and how the horrors of war makes him yearn to be reunited with his wife and infant son.  Morrill is as effective in showing Cap's regrets throughout his memories of WWII, his loneliness, his desire to serve despite the government's hesitation following Erskine's assassination, while coming to terms with his own mortality. The lab experiment to use his artistic drawing skills to pinpoint enemy hideouts and project himself to fool terrorists basically makes him a wraith, as he fights for justice in another way once his body progressively fails him makes Cap haunting and tragic.

The art style of Mitch Breitweiser aims for realism, from war-torn Afganistan to the character design. And it suits the subject matter and tone quite well. Knowing this comic was originally sub-titled "The End", it's definitely a personal comic as opposed to the fantastical sci-fi or political thriller type of Captain America comics. I recommend it as a "What If?" conclusion for Steve Rogers.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I had no idea he also branched out to comic book writing. Good Captain America writers can explore a different facet of patriotism, so I imagine he'd have a lot to say.