Superman Reboot

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteI wouldn't be surprised if all they did was retell the same basic story in the likeness of the Kelvin cast too. God forbid they tinker with the world they've created. Ugh, hacks...

Maybe I'm wrong tho.
From what I remember, it pretty much did but eliminated the Dr. Dehner character. The first issues of the comics were reimaginings of classic episodes like The Galileo Seven and The Omega Glory (with Captain Ronald Tracy replaced with Captain Robert April, The first commander of the Enterprise). There must've been a negative reaction to these issues and they stuck with original content until it ended.

A question was asked at CinemaCon about a new Superman movie, and apparently "progress is being made." Usually this would be something to get excited about. But not now. It is something to fill you with dread.

Some random Twitter guy posted what he claims to be the template for the film. He's a total random but the guesswork is believable given the content, so I'm posting it here anyway as a taste of what is likely.

A black Superman
His alien heritage is 'a parallel to racism'
He is a champion of 'the oppressed'
No heat vision, freeze breath, x-ray vision and can't fly
Asian Lois Lane
Black Perry White
WB's wants this film to be an 'awards contender'

Buckle up for something like this. Hysterically woke garbage is going to be the character's grand return. Imagine complaining the character has been left to languish and his potential has been wasted, only to use him like this as a political stunt. Yuck.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 28 Apr  2022, 01:31
A question was asked at CinemaCon about a new Superman movie, and apparently "progress is being made." Usually this would be something to get excited about. But not now. It is something to fill you with dread.

Some random Twitter guy posted what he claims to be the template for the film. He's a total random but the guesswork is believable given the content, so I'm posting it here anyway as a taste of what is likely.

A black Superman
His alien heritage is 'a parallel to racism'
He is a champion of 'the oppressed'
No heat vision, freeze breath, x-ray vision and can't fly
Asian Lois Lane
Black Perry White
WB's wants this film to be an 'awards contender'

Buckle up for something like this. Hysterically woke garbage is going to be the character's grand return. Imagine complaining the character has been left to languish and his potential has been wasted, only to use him like this as a political stunt. Yuck.
Don't tell me, let me guess, the villains will still be all white, right?

Honestly tho, WBD is highly leveraged at the moment. They need something bankable that will get people excited to see what's coming. And apart from TB2 (has that even been officially announced?), the slate looks pretty barren.

So, considering the way things look to be going on Twitter these days, I wonder what might happen if a bunch of eager beaver fans got a hashtag going urging WBD to axe this non-Superman movie and greenlight Man Of Steel II.

The Batman sequel was officially announced at CinemaCon the other day. It was expected, but I'm nonetheless glad to have it confirmed. That's my main meal in terms of DC films.

I still have interest in Keaton's DCEU involvement but can't deny my enthusiasm has reduced for a few reasons. Aquaman? Bleh. Shazam? Meh. Black Adam? Heh. But those projects would be masterpieces in comparison to SuperWoke. Bottom line with this roster, if it's not Batman I'm not that interested at all.

The Flash makes it very difficult to bring back Cavill, and let's face it, Amy Adams is probably just about aged out of the role by now. I can't see how they push forward long term even if the DCEU's current construct allowed for it. The Man of Steel cast should have already made more films together by now, but they haven't. And won't. If the studio wanted them used they would have been. They're setting the stage for Jar Jar Abrams.

Deadline is reporting a rumour that Cavill may show up at SDCC to talk more about Superman.

I guess this means he'll make an appearance in Black Adam after all. Still lukewarm about that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 21 Jul  2022, 01:00
Deadline is reporting a rumour that Cavill may show up at SDCC to talk more about Superman.

I guess this means he'll make an appearance in Black Adam after all. Still lukewarm about that.

Well, that Cavill rumour turned out to be a load of bullsh*t.

Meanwhile, the Rock got booed on stage at SDCC, when he implied that a new actor will play Superman if there is a clash with Black Adam. That must've been a blow to his ego.

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/07/dwayne-johnson-booed-by-fans-san-diego-comic-con-rwb1/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 24 Jul  2022, 03:26Well, that Cavill rumour turned out to be a load of bullsh*t.
Ship's sailed, bro.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 24 Jul  2022, 03:26Meanwhile, the Rock got booed on stage at SDCC, when he implied that a new actor will play Superman if there is a clash with Black Adam. That must've been a blow to his ego.

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/07/dwayne-johnson-booed-by-fans-san-diego-comic-con-rwb1/
That's, uh, kind of disrespectful. It's not like the Rock gets to make that decision.

Deadline are usually pretty solid with their scoops, so for this not to happen is somewhat surprising. It's the only reason why I gave this appearance a chance at happening, because everything else has screamed Cavill is done for years. If a new film was going to happen, it'd have to take place in the parallel DCEU bubble that apparently exists after The Flash.

But I still can't see it happening. ViewerAnon claims Cavill has been reluctant to come back and he has been asked on multiple occasions. Perhaps that is true - as Cavill doesn't see the merit in making small cameos that ultimately lead nowhere. There's also a claim that he's "particular" to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Cavill has his eyes firmly set on becoming the next James Bond. He was runner up to Craig last time. But even then there are no guarantees. I wouldn't be upset if he got that role, but I'd still prefer someone more unknown who can truly make the role their own.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but it seems some Hollywood newsletter might have let it slip that Cavill will return as Superman, in an article about actors putting on muscle for big budget blockbusters and superhero fatigue.

Obviously, it won't be tomorrow, as it's hard to think of a current male star that doesn't have a connection to the MCU, and they keep on coming — Chris Evans, Oscar Isaac, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Simu Liu, Tom Holland, Jeremy Renner, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Mahershala Ali, Ryan Reynolds and on and on. And don't forget DC's own Jason Momoa (Aquaman), Dwayne Johnson (with Black Adam out in October), Henry Cavill (in a Superman return) and Zachary Levi (Shazam), all of which, Zaslav declared on his company's recent earnings call, will fall under a "10-year plan."

https://theankler.com/p/brawn-of-a-new-male-era

We'll see if this Cavill rumour will gain traction among the trades in the next few months.

Form that investors call last week, it sounds like Cavil and Affleck are coming back. He clearly mentioned the trinity as a focal point for the DCEU moving forward.

I think Keaton was supposed to be coming back as the main Batman, but I think they're ditching that idea and moving with Affleck.

Nothing is confirmed, but that's what would make sense to me. What else would it mean, unless they're doing a full-on reboot, which we haven't heard anything about. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.